BMW Werkz banner

My 318 is pressing gas pedal by its own???

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  igorbgd 
#1 ·
I have 1985 BMW 318 E30 with Pierburg carburator and one little problem. My car activates gas pedal randomly by its own. Is there anybody who knows something to help, please?

#2 ·
something is either A) sticking on your carberator, ie like the linkage at the carb or the cable itself is sticking in the tube.....B) something is hanging up on your cable, like the cable assembly is being pulled by something.....C) check your floor mat, make sure it isn't resting on the pedal assembly at all.

you can start by firing up the car, opening up the hood, and then either have someone press on the gas pedal or manually operate the linkage yourself and see what happends. if the linkage on the carb is binding up you will clearly see it, grab yourself some silcone spray and go to town.....if the cable is binding (probably won't see it, acts like linkage on the carb except you won't see the cable twisting in reverse).....again grab some silcone and go to down on the cable itself and the carb linkage.

oh and also check the connection at the gas pedal itself, that too could be binding.

i personally have never seen a carbed up bmw (except the lovely 2002's) but operation is all pretty much the same when it comes to this type of set up

#3 ·
well, I think the problem is with little vacuum thing, because it is electronic carb. That little vacuum thing must press the throttle control linkage on the carb when the engine throttle down, but it activates by its self even on the idle

(sorry for bad English :) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.