Motorized Aerial Problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 05:01 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
charliefortune is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi - I've just swapped a motorized aerial from one E30 to another. It worked fine on the first one, but wont do anything on the 2nd. However, I don't know exactly which wire is the one that controls the aerial. All the wires into the stereo are correct, all works as expected, apart from no aerial. When I wired it up, there was one (grey and red, I think) wire left over, I tested it with a multimeter to find the was no current coming from it, and then used it as the aerial wire. No joy.

Can I connect the aerial directly to the battery to check it still goes up and down ? I'm guessing that they have a pos. and neg. power leads, then one more that make or breaks the circuit depending on signal from the head unit ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by charliefortune@Jan 20 2005, 04:01 AM
Hi - I've just swapped a motorized aerial from one E30 to another. It worked fine on the first one, but wont do anything on the 2nd. However, I don't know exactly which wire is the one that controls the aerial. All the wires into the stereo are correct, all works as expected, apart from no aerial. When I wired it up, there was one (grey and red, I think) wire left over, I tested it with a multimeter to find the was no current coming from it, and then used it as the aerial wire. No joy.

Can I connect the aerial directly to the battery to check it still goes up and down ? I'm guessing that they have a pos. and neg. power leads, then one more that make or breaks the circuit depending on signal from the head unit ?
[snapback]275461[/snapback]
one of the wires goes up to your deck and its the accesory wire, which is the power antena i believe. and when you turn it on FM it goes up and if you listen to a cd it goes down, now im not sure if your talking about hte stock or aftermarket deck but im assuming aftermarket, i can't go check because i wrecked mine and just got a short black one from canadian tire for about 20$ and put that in cause its really short and skinnier and less tackey. so good luck with that, and check the radio manual if you still have it.

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)