Mod questions for 89'325i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2003, 10:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
B.mer is an unknown quantity at this point
I just got an 89'325i, 2d, 5spd. I've have been into mustangs for awhile but here are my questions.
1. What do these cars run in the quarter mile?
2 What are some basic mods?..and what really wakes them up?
3. Aftermarket shifters??
thanks for the help.
B.mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2003, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fox

Car:
Photos:
Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Fox Send a message via AIM to Fox Send a message via MSN to Fox
1. Who cares, its a bmw not a pos

2. -Upgrade the entire exhaust to the dual IS exhaust, That will run you about 100 or so at a junkyard.
-4.10 rear differential helps, not worth the money unless you find at a junkyard for a good price
-Supposedly a chip, I havnt tried one, I dont Think its worth the money if all of a sudden you have to buy premium gas and only for a few hp.
-Go on ebay and buy a "e30 K&N Filter" and it will come with a adapter plate. Buy it from the guy called Million products
-And lastly a good suspension setup will REALLY make these things kick in the corners. IS's come with bilsteins but the Is dont. Go find some bilstein sport setup, i dont really know much about suspension but someone else does on the forums

3. Aftermarket shifters - screw'em. One of 2 things. short or really short.
-If you want short, Go to the BMW dealer and get a z4 2.5L shift lever
-If you want Really short get the z4 3.5L shift lever. However this is a longer install time because you have to modify 1 other part to make it work correctly. If you want further details i can give them to you.
-Youll also need a new nylon cup bearing for the shifter, a few circlips because youll probly loose the ones on there, and some of the small yellow shifter washers. They will know/be able to find the part numbers for these, total shouldnt be above 70 for the entire thing.

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
m42technic is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to m42technic Send a message via MSN to m42technic Send a message via Yahoo to m42technic
The "IS" exhaust isnt any different from the non "IS" exhaust. Dont go with an aftermarket cone filter unless you add a heat shield or you'll lose power. (www.lukasbmw.com builds a very reputable heat shield).

Chips are the best bang for the buck horsepower youll get. The Jim Conforti adds 15hp. Only drawback is that you have to run premium instead of plus gasoline.

Overall, for horsepower mods get a chip and a 4.10 diff. Youll be able to walk away from E30 M3's.

And I believe Fox means the Z4 3.0 shifter, not the 3.5...
Old 12-27-2003, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fox

Car:
Photos:
Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Fox Send a message via AIM to Fox Send a message via MSN to Fox
Huh? I has merged exhaust piping while IS has dual exhaust piping. Also the IS head is different, with better rocker retainers and whatnot.

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
m42technic is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to m42technic Send a message via MSN to m42technic Send a message via Yahoo to m42technic
Quote:
Originally posted by Fox@Dec 27 2003, 08:53 AM
Huh? I has merged exhaust piping while IS has dual exhaust piping. Also the IS head is different, with better rocker retainers and whatnot.
The "IS" drivetrain is identical with exception to the rear differential which comes standard as a limited slip unit on "IS" models (except the 318is, where is was optional).

The exhaust is dual on all M20B25's. The ETA does have single piping though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)