Minor issues - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 05:41 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bubhed720 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Minor issues

Hi all I've used the search function and haven't come up with what I'm looking for. Most of my problems stem from a lack of owners manual... I have a 1990 325i convertible

-Need an owners manual. Any idea where I can get one online or on the island of Oahu?
-What does the button do that is located on the center console just forward of the passenger power window buttons?
-How do I adjust the date (figured out the clock...) on the computer data center thing to the right of the radio? (and what's this module called too)
-What are the red and green lights in a progressive row at the bottom of the instrument panel just above the steering column and what does each sequence mean?

Thanks for any and all help you all can give me,

Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 07:17 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
The button forward of the window control is the window circuit breaker. If you push it, it pops up and the windows are disabled and obviously it would pop in the event of a short. The computer is OBC, on board computer. Have you tried holding the clock button on the OBC until it flashes? If that works, there should be "h" and "m" buttons to set the time.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 07:47 PM
2nd Gear Member

silversled can only hope to improve
yes, all good questions ....1) I don't know where you could find a new owners manual, I have one for 1988 which I believe is the same one but I know that doesn't help you.....2) Whiteshark is right......3) do you play golf? you need a sharp non metalic point to reset the on-board computer for time and date and so forth, I prefer a golf tee myself. 4) the lights on the dash are pure bullcrap...disregard those lights if the car is running OK. that's the 1 thing that pisses me off about BMW...those marketing bullcrap lights that come on to make you come into the dealer to have them shut off....I can tell you how to turn those off for free....otherwise ....best of luck
#4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

romeomike is on a distinguished road
One online owner's manual coming up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubhed720 View Post
Hi all I've used the search function and haven't come up with what I'm looking for. Most of my problems stem from a lack of owners manual... I have a 1990 325i convertible

-Need an owners manual. Any idea where I can get one online or on the island of Oahu?
-What does the button do that is located on the center console just forward of the passenger power window buttons?
-How do I adjust the date (figured out the clock...) on the computer data center thing to the right of the radio? (and what's this module called too)
-What are the red and green lights in a progressive row at the bottom of the instrument panel just above the steering column and what does each sequence mean?

Thanks for any and all help you all can give me,

Martin
http://jon.bimmerfest.com/bulletins/e30_manual.pdf
#5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 01:49 AM
n00b

bubhed720 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks you guys. All good items. Silversled, I would like to know how to do that. I currently have 1 green service bar and I know it will be going yellow and red soon. romeomike thanks a lot. That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks again.

Martin

'90 BMW 325i Covertible
Honolulu, HI
#6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubhed720 View Post
These are the service indicator lights. There are a million threads that tell you how to reset these if you need to. You can buy a tool or you can use a jumper wire. Do another search for "Service Indicator reset" "SI reset" etc etc and you have a ton of info.

Personally, I bought a tool that put me out $70...that's when I was young and stupid. If I were to do it again I would just use a jumper wire.

#7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 09:51 PM
2nd Gear Member

silversled can only hope to improve
certainly...what you do is get yourself a piece of copper wire...speaker cable will work about 5 inches long, bare the ends about half inch on each end and twist each end to make complete cable kind of thing. It should look like a U thing with the top ends of the U about 1/4" apart from each other. Then, take the cap off of the diagnostic plug off and locate number 7 and 19 pins (there are little tiny numbers on the plug housing) be sure you have 7 and 19 clearly identified here, otherwise trouble could occur. Once that is done insert one end of forementioned jumper into pin 7 and bridge to pin 19. then go in to the cabin and engage the ignition to start (where the lights come on the dash board but you haven't actually started the engine) and wait about 10 seconds or so...you will hear something going on and the lights will go out.
Once the lights go out turn the ignition off and remove the wire and put the cap back on and there you have it...you have reset the service light. it works for the oil service indicator light as well...good luck...I have done this like 20 times on my 325i and keep the wire in the little pocket in the glove where the never working flashlight resides.......good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)