made decision on 2.7. need more details. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 02:36 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rvaughnp is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
made decision on 2.7. need more details.

I have an 89' 325i m20 with #1 piston gone. (not sure yet as to damage). I will be purchasing a 1984-87 BMW 325E 2.7 complete motor.

I will be using the bottom end of the E and the upper of the I.

1) Is there a direct fit piston that would be better than the E without any shaving etc? Or would it be better to just stay with the simple swap?

2) With the parts from both motors and being that i may have to purchase new pistons anyway (being i am not sure of the status of the I #1 at this time), what configuration could i get away with between the two motors for hp/trq. Keeping in mind i do not want to go down a road of adding a lot of mods to this project. trying to keep it simple with what i have.

For those that i have IM, thanks, i still would appreciate your replies.

I know parts of this have been addressed in other posts but i can't seem to get to my exact situation.

I appreciate any replies, rvaughnp

Rvaughnp
1989 325i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 08:17 PM
2nd Gear Member

silversled can only hope to improve
I don't believe you can do that, there are too many differences..for instance the head gasket is different for an E than the I...problem right there. different ignition wires, the valve springs are different, O2 sensor different, exhaust connections different, air flow meter different...just for starters..no. I don't believe you can put an I head on an E block..I think it would be easier to simply relace the I engine with the engine (and that would not be simple) than to do what you suggest as I don't think that would work anyway...if you decide to go that route and it works call me a two toed horney toad and tell how the heck you pulled that off...I would just fix the I myself and be done with it....good luck
#3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 08:33 PM
2nd Gear Member

as a conclusion let me say this. these are not legoland cars, the parts are not interchangeable from model to model. why would they do that? they are in business to make money. there are some things you can interchange and are common across makes, but not very many. For instance you cannot use the same windshield wiper motor from a 733 in a 633...they look almost the same but they are not...more different parts...more money...don't think for a minute BMW is in this to not make money on replacement parts...they are.
They are not alone, they all do it... and Bosch is right up in there with them...I don't blame any of them..it's just business....
#4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 09:58 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I appreciate your comment, you will see in posts here that this interchange can be done; i have researched this for over a week now and over 100 posts have I read. You should search (stroke) in the m20 forum on this site and others. There is a plethora of reading. I just haven't been able to filter it all out to my circumstance.

rvaughnp

Rvaughnp
1989 325i
#5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 10:20 PM
2nd Gear Member

OK, anyone can tell you anything, but I will say this not possible not to even speak of reasonable. I'm not going argue...I'm just saying it won't happen. The Internet is not very reliable for this kind of thing, never believe it is. Anything you want to hear you can find on this stupid web..as good as is it also is as worthless...I am telling you this will not work for many reasons. Let me know if it does work..hell, call me for detail...Cliff
#6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 10:34 PM
2nd Gear Member

there is absolutely NO WAY you can put an "I" head on an "E" block...what?
who said you could do that? Please...speak to me.... Cliff (New Mexico)
#7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I believe the piston top shapes are different between the eta and the "i" M20's. That alone would be a serous issue for compression ratio.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 10:57 PM
2nd Gear Member

it may have something to do with piston crowns. I believe it goes further than that in foolishness...what the hell are you talking about? This concept is extemely flawed, it just won't work....are you kidding me? Cliff
#9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 10:59 PM
2nd Gear Member

I'm just trying to save you some money and effort for something that can
never work is all...that is false economy there...Cliff
#10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 11:54 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
hey sled... again i appreciate your responses, but i think your tone is a little overboard. there are plenty of people that have done similar swaps and numerous more that have "swapped" parts in these engines.
If you don't "think" this can be done, because it doesn't seem you yourself have even attempted it; but are readily willing to discard the notion.
1.3 Motronic Up-Grade & 2.7i How To - R3VLimited Forums read this post. Nor was it my intention in this post to do so. I can't make a believer out of someone who doesn't want to believe. In addition, i never asked for your negative opinion on why not to do it, please keep that to yourself. As i have posted this to get answers. Thanks for your 2 cents.

Oh and by the way sbc 350 and 305, sbf 302 and 351, ford 2.0 and 2.3, volks 1.8 and 2.0 all have parts that interchange from one another. In addition, i also own a 98 Infinti I30 that i use Nissan parts in place of.

rvaughnp

Rvaughnp
1989 325i
#11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 11:58 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
rvaughnp, Take a break.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:41 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I did find my direct answer e30 2.7 stroker [Archive] - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

I will try to post updates of work done, parts swapped and etc, when done. i had a family illness that will required a trip out of town once a month for the next 6 months or so and that take s away from the budget.
But, will post as it happens.

thanks for the help

rvaughnp

Rvaughnp
1989 325i
#13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 06:08 AM
Neutral Member

harryinsaudi is on a distinguished road
rvaughnp,

Ok, well all the answers you need are in an article in the Sept 2008 Edition of Total BMW Magazine. If you send me your e-mail i'll scan it and send it to you :0

The options are as follows:

Use the ETA bottom end with a 320i or 323i head
Use the ETA bottom end with a 325i head
Use the ETA block with 325i pistons and head.

ETA and 325i head gaskets are the same......

You will need your complete 325i Eng Management |Unit, ECU inlet manifold and injectors . You need to remap the ECU as the ETA unit has a faster piston speed so it gets to the top of the bore quicker......

The compression ratio problem isn't a biggie if you use the eta bottom end with the 325i head. 325i chamber volume is 42.5 cc.... as opposed to 38cc but that still gives you a comp ratio of around 9.5..... plenty. Obviously if you skim the head that will be improved.

If you fit the 325i pistons, you need to fit the 130mm ETA 2 litre con rods and shave 1.5 to 2 mm off the block.

As the cam and crank will now be closer together, the timing will be out so you need a vernier adjustable cam pulley.

You need longer bolts to fit the E30 sump onto the ETA block

Finally early 325i pistons need 12mm shaving off the skirt but your 89's should be ok.

Hope that helps....

Harry
#14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Neutral Member

harryinsaudi is on a distinguished road
oh and if you find a pre late 85 engine....('27 6KA') stamped on the block, the comp ratio will be around 10.2 to 1 with the 325i head, post that ('27 6EB') you'll be at the 9.5 ratio.
#15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear Member

I will say this one more time simply.....and then leave it up to you...You Cannot Do That....it just will not work...but go ahead and try if you insist...but, mark my words...it will not work.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)