lsd? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
RyanPenner is on a distinguished road
lsd?

just wondering if my car has a limited slip diff ive heard that some of the e30's did its and 88 325i i will post up pics tommro ...
RyanPenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2007, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
blkbox is on a distinguished road
Try doing a burn out.. see if you get two tiremarks
blkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Festivus yes, bagels no..

Car: '01 330i
Photos:
yammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
mine is....

89 325i vert
Old 09-17-2007, 03:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
jack up the rear of the car, and with it in neutral and both the rear tires off the ground, spin on, if the other turns the same direction you have LSD, if it turns the opposite direction, you dont...

also if the tag on the back of the differential starts with S then its a limited slip...in the case of a 325i its probably going to say 3.73 or S3.73 unless its auto then it might says 4.10 or S4.10

but almost all 325i's came open diff...

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
jack up the rear of the car, and with it in neutral and both the rear tires off the ground, spin on, if the other turns the same direction you have LSD, if it turns the opposite direction, you dont...

also if the tag on the back of the differential starts with S then its a limited slip...in the case of a 325i its probably going to say 3.73 or S3.73 unless its auto then it might says 4.10 or S4.10

but almost all 325i's came open diff...
thanks alot man, ill check that out this is my first rwd car... and wouldnt mind being able to drift it a bit if possible.. having said that how much abuse can the stock drivetrain take? just curious
Old 09-17-2007, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
i dont recommend using an E30 for drift, it turns too well without kicking the back end out to waste it on drifting, not to mention the car was designed with a tad bit of understeer...the last BMWs to be built with oversteer characteristics were the E21 and the classic 2002's but you didnt ask my personal opinion, so moving on...

as long as nothing is worn out or broken (bushings, shocks, struts, bearings) its pretty sturdy, but things will break...lol

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
W00T

Car: 1991 E30 318i 2008 E92 328i
Photos:
Numark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
i dont recommend using an E30 for drift, it turns too well without kicking the back end out to waste it on drifting, not to mention the car was designed with a tad bit of understeer...the last BMWs to be built with oversteer characteristics were the E21 and the classic 2002's but you didnt ask my personal opinion, so moving on...

as long as nothing is worn out or broken (bushings, shocks, struts, bearings) its pretty sturdy, but things will break...lol
hell yea things break. heh. due to my idiot driving, rain drifting, and constant windy road abuse my 318 needs new bushings everywhere. I think i need a new muffler bearing also.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Drifting and drag racing a BMW is like fishing with a high dollar hooker, it might be a good time but not what she's built for.

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
rmousir is on a distinguished road
the easy way is to do a burn out.. two tread marks the spot!
rmousir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJNKY
Drifting and drag racing a BMW is like fishing with a high dollar hooker, it might be a good time but not what she's built for.
yah well this car is definatley a hooker its been painted the wrong shade of red over rust* by a guy whos brother knows how to paint but i got it for six hundred bucks it needs a headgasket and suspension but i really cant complain because i got two sets of rims with it and its really not that rusted out it looks shiny theres just runs here there and over there too. even with all that gone ... i know i shouldnt drive it with a headgasket gone but i did around the block and i did love it running on about 4 cyl id say enough ramble .. but thanks i guess i will just never fit in with my 240 sx buddys
Old 09-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numark318i
hell yea things break. heh. due to my idiot driving, rain drifting, and constant windy road abuse my 318 needs new bushings everywhere. I think i need a new muffler bearing also.
good luck with that bearing there a rare peice
Old 09-19-2007, 12:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmousir
the easy way is to do a burn out.. two tread marks the spot!
i think sticking your head under the back of the car and looking at the diff is easier...not to mention i have left 2 tire marks with an open diff...

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)