lower baby lower - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
blazein is on a distinguished road
Question lower baby lower

Ok Im startin to figure this stuff out now. Our car has some very nice Bilstein shocks but she sits to high. in the old days we used to cut the springs to lower the car or space them to raise it. Is this a practical solution or total insult to this fine German machine. Im thinking the latter. If so what is a reasonable way to go about lowering the car 1-2 inches without departing from the already great handleing. Tell you what guys I can build a vet from scratch and know a Jaguar pretty well, but these cars are a whole different stroke. thanks, blazein
blazein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
chinonca is on a distinguished road
That would be a total insult to chop the springs! They sell dropped springs for your car. Try Bav auto or BMP Design.
chinonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car: 1991 318is, 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Photos:
Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
How low do you want to go, the H&R Sport springs give a nice drop about an inch all around, the H&R race will go lower but you will have higher spring rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
Nick_318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
if you want to go low go ground control....btw its not possible to cut the rear springs and still have them seat....springs are cheap...dont cut

im just running a set of Bilstein BTS kit springs i got second hand from a friend for about $100...im not running spring pads either so the total drop is about 1.5"-2" all around...

earlier cars like mine have higher rear wheel arches so its deceiving...it doesn't look as low as it is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_318is View Post
How low do you want to go, the H&R Sport springs give a nice drop about an inch all around, the H&R race will go lower but you will have higher spring rates.
judging by your lean it looks like you could justify higher spring rates I tease...

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!

Last edited by gotKRAUT; 09-25-2008 at 02:14 PM.
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
A NEW DAY RISES...

Car: 2008 M5, 2011 X5
Photos:
RoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Depending on your budget, you can go for coilovers (expensive, but you can control the lowering distance and get superior handling - I no6te with my H & R coilovers the distance between my front wheels and chassis is ridiculously small, like 1/2 inch maybe and it handles a cloverleaf traffic circle at 75 without so much as a sweat), or just various types of springs - go for a major name brand for your baby if possible like Bilstein). I would agree as above that you def check BavAuto as they have many companies of quality just for Bimmers as well as often carrying their own brands and are quire reasonably priced. Don't be my hot yet geto poor neighbor with her beat up Honda Civic with its..... CUT springs. Do the RIGHT thing - any version of it will do....

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
RoadsterMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Koni, H&R, Ground Control, KW Variant, Bilstein, all good...eibach...too soft...steer clear

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
lol you guys are the bomb! Thanks for the well spoken words and the gasps! We will seek a economical solution and swap the springs. I am a firm father and will help with the work but the young man must supply his own parts, as well as attend the performance driving class in our area with performance results. Wanna drive? Drive WELL!! Thanks, Blazein
Old 09-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car: 1991 318is, 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Photos:
Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT View Post
judging by your lean it looks like you could justify higher spring rates I tease...
I actually have to agree, that picture is before the sways so it doesn't lean as much any more but the Dinan springs rates could be higher and when i can get to it I will probably get some stiffer springs since the car isn't really a daily anymore, although i have been driving it about the last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
Nick_318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
thanks all we are going with the H&R all the way!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)