Lost Some Coolent Messing Around... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2004, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
4th Gear Member
 
schneider252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pittsbugh
Car:
Posts: 962
Photos:
schneider252 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to schneider252
I was messing around and by not knowing to much about the engine itself I took off a hose running from the radioator to the engine. Green shit ( coolent) spilt everywere. It wasnt enough to empty it out, but it was a nice chunk of fluid.

The coolent was just flushed and changed and anitfreeze was put in. Can I just go to the store and buy some anyold coolent and stick some in or will it be a bad thing with the antii-freeze stuff in.

Im kinda clueless on this matter, The only other thing I have done conserning the motor was replacing the sparkplugs and putting in a cone filter. All my time has been devoted to paint/body work on the car so far so give me a break :P

Thanks!
__________________
<img src='http://freehost10.websamba.com/j2s325/schneider325.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />

PATRIOT, n. One who loves his country, and zealously supports its authority

&quot;I had made it clear to the world that either you're with us or you're with the enemy, and that doctrine still stands&quot;
schneider252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-30-2004, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Car:
Posts: 332
Photos:
3serbmdubya is an unknown quantity at this point
i would say yes go to store, but i probably would get owned by everyone on these forums. so go to the dealer pay the extra 5 bucks and get some coolant for you bmw
__________________
<img src='http://img73.exs.cx/img73/8618/post-4-1069548360.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
3serbmdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Car:
Posts: 179
Photos:
1985bmw325e is an unknown quantity at this point
........................


flush out your coolant and put bmw coolant ONLY.
1985bmw325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
4th Gear Member
 
schneider252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pittsbugh
Car:
Posts: 962
Photos:
schneider252 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to schneider252
Quote:
Originally posted by 3serbmdubya@Nov 30 2004, 08:55 PM
i would say yes go to store, but i probably would get owned by everyone on these forums.* so go to the dealer pay the extra 5 bucks and get some coolant for you bmw
[snapback]240884[/snapback]
Quote:
........................


flush out your coolant and put bmw coolant ONLY.
It was just replaced 5 days ago and antifreeze was put in also. Why would I do it all over again? It was done at a euopean machanic shop so it might have bmw coolent. Can i just put more in? Does it matter if i mix 2 different types of coolent? Will it be safe to drive now since I emptied a good amount of coolent?
__________________
<img src='http://freehost10.websamba.com/j2s325/schneider325.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />

PATRIOT, n. One who loves his country, and zealously supports its authority

&quot;I had made it clear to the world that either you're with us or you're with the enemy, and that doctrine still stands&quot;
schneider252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Car:
Posts: 267
Photos:
bmwcrazy is an unknown quantity at this point
Its best if you dont mix 2 different antifreeze. Choose one that you think is best and stay with it.
__________________
bmwcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Car:
Posts: 179
Photos:
1985bmw325e is an unknown quantity at this point
just b/c it came from a european mechanic shop doesn't mean they would put BMW coolant. I go to a european mechanic as well (obviously since it is a bmw) when i have certain problems when tools are not at hand and they dont even use BMW coolant. Trust me, just flush it out and use bmw coolant. I had my coolant flushed out 6 months ago and when i found out they put some green crap coolant in my car i flushed it out myself and put bmw coolant. you dont want phosphate deposits lurking in your engine.
1985bmw325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member
 
guywithblack88e30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Downey, California
Car:
Posts: 1,252
Photos:
guywithblack88e30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by 1985bmw325e@Nov 30 2004, 09:44 PM
just b/c it came from a european mechanic shop doesn't mean they would put BMW coolant. I go to a european mechanic as well (obviously since it is a bmw) when i have certain problems when tools are not at hand and they dont even use BMW coolant. Trust me, just flush it out and use bmw coolant. I had my coolant flushed out 6 months ago and when i found out they put some green crap coolant in my car i flushed it out myself and put bmw coolant. you dont want phosphate deposits lurking in your engine.
[snapback]240952[/snapback]
yeah alot of mechanics use cheaper stuff they get more of a profit that way, i know a mechanic that uses $.99 store stuff. oh and what the difference between bmw coolant and prestone or better???
__________________

Member of got its raining(in Members Lounge) to 100, 237, 250, &amp; 300 pages club...
Member of 3 Pedel club...
Member of ran away from cop using DRIFTING not speed(ok a little speed)...
guywithblack88e30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member
 
WarNox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Car:
Posts: 780
Photos:
WarNox is an unknown quantity at this point
there probably isnt much of a difference, maybe just a little. i dont think the bmw coolant will make ur engine run any better but it would probably be more expensive as it would say "bmw" on the bottle! but then again u never know, maybe bmw put some "special" sutff in their coolant that makes only the "bmw" engines perform better!
__________________
<img src='http://www.geocities.com/thereisnothinglikeabmw/mycar1.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
WarNox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Car:
Posts: 9
Photos:
OutOnBail is an unknown quantity at this point
thermodynamically increase in coolant temperature increases coolant pressure... Coolant flow is driven by pump... so coolant temperature and pressure must fit the pump requirement...

Basically we can't judge how good or bad is the refrigerant, one good way to see its performance whether it suits ur car is by running ur engine and observe the temperature raise behaviour. If ur car'e temp reading shows rapid increment when u start ur engine, u gotta watch out... then if thing seems normal, simply run ur car for few hours in ur spare time and observe again...

Some may say the coolant may damage ur pump, that's right if u put freak crazy wrong coolant (in this case i would rather say refrigerant)... For example, if u change ur coolant with comercial air cond refrigerant, u may damage ur pump... like u pump up swamp using water pump... but in ur case, u say u go to one proper autoservice, i believe u r OK.

One good news for u, coolant is not simply used as a engine heat exchanger, the same flow is also used in ur car's air cond system... normally car has about the same air cond output let`s say 20degrees C then the vehicles' manufacture may use about the same pump and coolant... slight different does not matter... like u pump up coconut juice with water pump =) see wat i mean?

U dun have to go to BMW house for every single problem... like when u change ur oil, u can use Shell, BP, Caltex, etc...slight different makes no big deal... (you are not performance racer) =)
OutOnBail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
4th Gear Member
 
schneider252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pittsbugh
Car:
Posts: 962
Photos:
schneider252 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to schneider252
Quote:
Originally posted by OutOnBail@Dec 1 2004, 06:50 AM
thermodynamically increase in coolant temperature increases coolant pressure... Coolant flow is driven by pump... so coolant temperature and pressure must fit the pump requirement...

Basically we can't judge how good or bad is the refrigerant, one good way to see its performance whether it suits ur car is by running ur engine and observe the temperature raise behaviour. If ur car'e temp reading shows rapid increment when u start ur engine, u gotta watch out... then if thing seems normal, simply run ur car for few hours in ur spare time and observe again...

Some may say the coolant may damage ur pump, that's right if u put freak crazy wrong coolant (in this case i would rather say refrigerant)... For example, if u change ur coolant with comercial air cond refrigerant, u may damage ur pump... like u pump up swamp using water pump... but in ur case, u say u go to one proper autoservice, i believe u r OK.

One good news for u, coolant is not simply used as a engine heat exchanger, the same flow is also used in ur car's air cond system... normally car has about the same air cond output let`s say 20degrees C then the vehicles' manufacture may use about the same pump and coolant... slight different does not matter... like u pump up coconut juice with water pump =) see wat i mean?

U dun have to go to BMW house for every single problem... like when u change ur oil, u can use Shell, BP, Caltex, etc...slight different makes no big deal... (you are not performance racer) =)
[snapback]241170[/snapback]
thanks for the info and same for everyone else. Most likely the stuff wasnt that good that was put in, and they riped her off on the price. I cant wait till the car if officially mine after my mom is done driving it after the winter. Then I can do all these things by my self without worring about having the car ready for her to drive the next day.

The coolent line is about an inch away from the marker right now. Im guessing it will be a little less than that since the Reservoir curves up. I might want to add a little bit of water, that should do it. Or just call up the damn machanics and ask what kind they used. I guess I'll just run the car for a while and watch the temp gauge
__________________
<img src='http://freehost10.websamba.com/j2s325/schneider325.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />

PATRIOT, n. One who loves his country, and zealously supports its authority

&quot;I had made it clear to the world that either you're with us or you're with the enemy, and that doctrine still stands&quot;
schneider252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
5th Gear Member
 
TMac325is's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Severna Park, Maryland
Car:
Posts: 1,090
Photos:
TMac325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TMac325is
one day when me and my friend were messing around with my engine i did the same thing, we pulled a tube that was running to my air box? and then coolant went everywhere, i was pissed

but yeah then i started my car and i was low on coolant, so i just put in some quality stuff from the autoparts store and its been working just fine for like 4 months now
__________________

<span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>T-Mac</span>
95' BMW 325is Jet Black, 5 speed
Xtec 6000k HID kit, DDE Enhanced, Euro Ellipsoids, M3 Front Bumper, Color-matched rear,
Alpine Mp3/CD, 20% tint, M3 Contour Rims, Smoked Corners, front lip
Clear Side markers, K&amp;N Performance Filter, Debaffle, Color-matched side skirts</span>
TMac325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
coolent loud068 3-Series (E36) 5 11-10-2005 01:08 PM
battery lost charge..proper way to charging it wcre34 3-Series (E36) 8 09-07-2005 09:21 PM
I Lost bimmer3214 Driving Tales 13 06-25-2005 08:11 AM
High Coolent Level benji84 3-Series (E36) 4 04-21-2005 07:40 PM
Lost The Only Key To A 98 323is BombSquad 3-Series (E36) 10 04-12-2005 07:47 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.