BMW Werkz banner

A Little Help Requested

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  pommeree 
#1 ·
:wrench Spent all day yesterday changing out my old front struts on my 320i for new air gas, I also changed bushings and tie rods. the car use to have the 80k shimmy which is now gone. steering is tight and everything feels great....until you hit around 90 to 100 kph I now get a bad vibration in the steering. Not sure what is wrong as all pieces are in their correct location. :wtf Perhaps something not tightened down correctly?
Or...??? (enter you ideas here)

#2 ·
thrust arm bushings

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses

:thumbs

It does appear to be the tires, changed my tires back to the original wheels and ta da shimmy gone. Still have some play in my wheel bearings but can take care of that later.

So must balance the other tires now. :wrench

Another question, suggestion on rim sizes for the 320i , will 14 work with spacers?
Dont want to go bigger than that really.

Cheers and once again thanks for the help
:driving

#7 ·
You'll definately want to retorque if not repack your front bearings if they need it. They're easy to retorque (retighten essentially) And total replacement can be accomplished in a few hours. Just remember to use an a#$&-load of grease.
Other shimmy sources include lower control arm bushes (easiest/cheapest to replace whole arm) Upper strut mounts, front sway bar bushes, steering rack bushes.
Good luck,
E.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.