Just Did This Mod Today, Kinda Cool. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2005, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
j123crx is an unknown quantity at this point
Just Did This Mod Today, Kinda Cool.

did a clutch stop, now you only have to push it about 4" to shift.

http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacg...133&Section=11

any other mods you know about ?

j123crx@aol.com
j123crx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2005, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DJProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i read that........BMW sets up your clutch pedal travel for a reason. even thought it "feels" like you have your clutch fully disengaged you may not actually have it all the way out. you may only be getting it to the point where it is "slipping" and thus feels "disengaged".......i don't recommend doing this mod for that reason. i mean think about this, which syncros go out the most on our trans's? the 2nd gear ones, why? because people don't have their clutch pedal all the way in when going into second thus straining the syncros wearing them out......doing this mod would do that to all the gears not to mention the added wear and tear on your clutch....my advice is take the ten bucks you would be spending at lowes for this stuff, combine it with 20 and go buy yourself that z31 shifter and call it a day.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to 325eXTATIC Send a message via AIM to 325eXTATIC Send a message via MSN to 325eXTATIC Send a message via Yahoo to 325eXTATIC
I don't fully agree DJ... Your points are all highly valid, but you can set the stop fairly low, so that you can still get your clutch to fully disengage, but you stop the pedal from going far enough to bend the pedal mount. That is what has happened to my eta... The previous owner AutoX'd it one time and was a little too agressive on the clutch pedal, slamming it hard into the stock pedal stop, and the stop gave in just enough to allow extra stress on the pedal mount up high in the dash. That would be the major reason for me to recommend people do this. It can be the case for people that leave their clutch pedal in while stopped. While not a good idea, many people do it. If you keep full pressure on the pedal to the point that it rests on the stock pedal stop, it can eventually bend the pedal mount, so set farily low, a SOLID clutch pedal stop can be a good thing!

Just my .02

Josh W.

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
325eXTATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
well if you put it back to the "stock" location then yes this isn't a bad idea, it would replace the plastic piece.......however they are talking about not putting it at the stock set up with this mod, they are talking about making it shorter........now if you did this mod and returned it to the stock location then i can see it as a good idea.......however doing it to shorten your pedal travel just brings about all sorts of "not so fresh feeling"..........
Old 09-27-2005, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
j123crx is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, tried this out for a couple of days...ended up finding it worked best when the setting was only about 3" off the floor. with the rubber boot on the bolt it feels very solid and you get good clutch engagement. the higher setting i had was NOT the best way to go, got to try it out be for you know.
j123crx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
like i said before BMW isn't trying to make your throw long on purpose......in fact you can be too long and bend the pressure plate fingers the other way.......BMW has it calcuated out how far the throw needs, NEEDS, to be.......you are not fully disenguaging the clutch and going to cut down on it's life by making the pedal travel less than what it is stock...........sure it's a nifty trick, so is running lighter weight oil and less of it so you can rev up quicker (old air cooled vw trick) just because it yields results doesn't mean it's good........
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)