Just Bought My First Bmw, Some Issues :( - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:34 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chindian is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi, very very very new to the forum but not new to chat sites.
I've just bought me a 87 316 Saloon. It's a lovely faded red, has seat covers to cover up the seat blemishes and a few other issues that aren't as easy to laugh at.

The clutch is bloody worn (is this fairly easy to do without a hoist and power tools?)

The brakes are low, i'll do the pads and fluids soon, anything to watch out for?

The temp guage sometimes reads max on first start, i tap the panel and it sits at normal temp, loose wiring?

The tach and mpg guages don't work at all but light up fine as does the rest of the cluster.

The maintenance light keeps flashing and the green bars below stay on all the time.

The car wallows on the motorway like an american big boat would... should I swap the springs out or shocks? I am considering lowering springs with shocks, just something better than factory, nothing too bling.. I'm on a student's budget here

The shifter is really loose, side to side, on my previous cars (honda's) this would be caused by a worn shift rod bushing which is about $12USD to replace.. what about these Bimmers? what would be the issue?

The car surges in idle, and when in gear as well, when the throttle is closed. would this be a carb tune issue or spark issue? it doesn't really bog when pushing the accelerator but it's not exactly taking out the Audi S4 next to me.

I'm sorry to start off my posting with so many issues but I want to enjoy this ownership experience asap! Help me PLEASE!!!

Much love,
Chindian.

p.s. pics of 'patches' to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 02:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

e30fanm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e30fanm3 Send a message via Yahoo to e30fanm3
good luck on the new car! i dont think i would challenge an s4 with it though
#3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Official Bimmerwerkz Biscuit Distributer

spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to spiff325is
Sounds like a lot of problems, seems like a lot of basic issues, what you should do is flush all the fluids and refill them. do your pads and rotors it seems, then you should check all your fuses and replaced the ones that are blown(that can help your cluster).

as for the clutch, i dont really know the 'how abouts' to replace it.

I hate: people who haven't died yet that I hate.
L337 Co-Founding Assistant Executive Director Product Maker of Sunset Sig's Inc.
2000 BMW M Coupe - Dakar-II - S52

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)