Just Bought an E30... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2004, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
greenlightracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to greenlightracer Send a message via MSN to greenlightracer Send a message via Yahoo to greenlightracer
Hey, I just bought an E30, of which I need alot of help.

I think it would be best to break this into separate posts, so my most annoy and dangerous problems I'll list here.

Ok, so I was sitting at a res light when I realised that I'm dring my first RWD car and like a *normal* 18 yr old would, I try to do a burn out. I'm sorry I did. the second I tried to, the engine made an *UNGODLY* noise. all the lights came on and ithe engine died out. I tried to start it and it finally did, but there was a squealing noise that went away a minute later.... I'm so bummed. did I kill my bimmer? I'v learned my lesson! It was out of character anyway, I bought this car to try to make it better. previous to this problem, the car started to make a clicking noise today.

And I only bought it friday.

The car has had a rough idle since I bought it, and once it idle for like 30 seconds, the check engine light comes on.

The Brake lining light flickers when its raing at comes on when I hit a bump. it also goes off when I hit a bump lol.

and lastly, intermittently, the Warning light for the Brake Lights go off, when they are working just fine. The light for the brake lights always comes on when I start the car, but when I push on the brake it goes away. Other times when I"m driving though, it stays on and wont go off until I turn the car off...

HELP!

Brian
greenlightracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2004, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
350z

Car: 03 Nissan 350z Track
Photos:
bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
sounds like you bought a lemon... haha but let me ask why the hell didnt you drive it hard when you were test driving it. even if they are with you you let that puppy run and see if anything like you are desrcibing is going to happen when you by it!

DAvid
Old 04-05-2004, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DeathMetal is an unknown quantity at this point
The brake light indicator ALWAYS comes on when you start the car and goes off as soon as you press the pedal. This is normal.

The brake lining light comes on either because your pads are worn or the sensor is disconnected and probably dangling by the side of the caliper, and wakes up everytime you hit a bump in the road.

Check Engine light? What check engine light? The E30 doesnt have a check engine light. When the CHECK light comes on, just look at the overhead console and it will point you to what the problem is. Might be just a sensor glitch or it might actually be a legitimate problem. My Brake Light indicator sometimes comes on for no apparent reason while driving, usually after it rains.

Squealing noise? Check your belts and water pump.

Clicking noise? Is it a knock or a tick? If it's a tick, it's proabbly a valve lifter thingie (LOL). No big deal. If it's a knock, then check your oil. When your engine runs out of oil, it first develops a tick that gets progressively worse and turns into a knock, right before your engine blows up.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via AIM to greenlightracer Send a message via MSN to greenlightracer Send a message via Yahoo to greenlightracer
Quote:
Originally posted by bigred318@Apr 5 2004, 11:05 PM
sounds like you bought a lemon... haha but let me ask why the hell didnt you drive it hard when you were test driving it. even if they are with you you let that puppy run and see if anything like you are desrcibing is going to happen when you by it!

DAvid
Hey,

I'm pretty sur eits not a lemon. I Drove it up to 115, I brake hard, accelerate fast, it was just this one time. Plus I paid 2500 for a 90 Bimmer with 90,000 miles certified by Carfax. Now, something tells me u paid more for yours.... :P
Old 04-05-2004, 10:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by DeathMetal@Apr 5 2004, 11:17 PM
The brake light indicator ALWAYS comes on when you start the car and goes off as soon as you press the pedal. This is normal.

The brake lining light comes on either because your pads are worn or the sensor is disconnected and probably dangling by the side of the caliper, and wakes up everytime you hit a bump in the road.

Check Engine light? What check engine light? The E30 doesnt have a check engine light. When the CHECK light comes on, just look at the overhead console and it will point you to what the problem is. Might be just a sensor glitch or it might actually be a legitimate problem. My Brake Light indicator sometimes comes on for no apparent reason while driving, usually after it rains.

Squealing noise? Check your belts and water pump.

Clicking noise? Is it a knock or a tick? If it's a tick, it's proabbly a valve lifter thingie (LOL). No big deal. If it's a knock, then check your oil. When your engine runs out of oil, it first develops a tick that gets progressively worse and turns into a knock, right before your engine blows up.
Its ticking noise that gets faster as the RPM climbs. There is a check engine light,under the dash board, left of the fog lamp light (not switch, light indicator to tell u that they are on)
Old 04-05-2004, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Really? There is a check engine light? Can anyone else confirm this? I have never seen one - at least not in my car. As far as the ticking noise, if it gets more rapid with RPM's then it probably isnt a lubrication problem. How does the car drive?
Old 04-05-2004, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by greenlightracer+Apr 5 2004, 11:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (greenlightracer @ Apr 5 2004, 11:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigred318@Apr 5 2004, 11:05 PM

DAvid
Hey,

I'm pretty sur eits not a lemon. I Drove it up to 115, I brake hard, accelerate fast, it was just this one time. Plus I paid 2500 for a 90 Bimmer with 90,000 miles certified by Carfax. Now, something tells me u paid more for yours.... :P [/b][/quote]
I paid 1800 for my '86 with 125K on the odometer. It's mint!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by DeathMetal@Apr 5 2004, 11:57 PM
Really? There is a check engine light? Can anyone else confirm this? I have never seen one - at least not in my car. As far as the ticking noise, if it gets more rapid with RPM's then it probably isnt a lubrication problem. How does the car drive?
The car drives fine, perfect really, no compliants, just when it idles.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
ok - when you say it idles rough, do you mean that it bounces or that the ar shakes? What RPM do you idle at?
Old 04-06-2004, 05:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
it idles at about 700, its more like a "chug"
Old 04-06-2004, 11:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
'85 318i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to '85 318i
my car ('85 318i) had the same noise ticking that got faster yadda yadda, was told it was not a big deal. it dropped a valve one day and put a hole through my number one piston, and tore the head to hell. had to put an engine in my car two months after buying it. not trying to scare you, but you might want to get that checked out.
brake lining light, the sensor is probably hanging by the caliper. yeah dude, i can't do burnouts in my car, it wont break traction. yeah thats right I'm 19 and i drive my car like an idiot (which is why my insurance payment sucks ass). it gets nice and sideways around corners though...

OH YEAH! there is a check engine light right where he says.

&quot;Only posers die...&quot; - Stevo &quot;SLC Punk!&quot;
'85 318i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)