Instrument cluster help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
triniskunt is on a distinguished road
Smile Instrument cluster help

Hey guys I got an instrument cluster that the whole left side doesn't work, as in the tach and temp guage i believe the other guage at the bottom, i don't know what its called but the one with the needle that keeps moving from left to right depending on how fast you are going and what gear you are in yeah that one...lol Anyway the speedo and the fuel guage work fine and everything on the left side is ok. What could that be, I'm sure that its just my luck that i am the only one to ever encounter that problem. or probably its just something really simple that's just unplugged or some dumb thing like that... oh well any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
triniskunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Festivus yes, bagels no..

Car: '01 330i
Photos:
yammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
Quote:
Originally Posted by triniskunt
or probably its just something really simple that's just unplugged or some dumb thing like that...
That would be my first guess...there's a few connectors in the back of the cluster....I would say pull the cluster and make sure everything is plugged in....the bently manual has a good "how to" on removing the cluster...you might could find the instructions here using the search feature...

could be a fuse?

Last edited by yammahamma; 10-09-2007 at 01:13 PM.
yammahamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
yeah in one of the other threads there is a link to the removal of the si board which covered the cluster removal. Thanks. you also said that it could be a fuse, are those just the regular fuses in the fuse box under the hood cause my thinking is if it were one of those fuses then wouldn't the whole cluster be out, or are there special fuses for the instrument cluster?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos:
yammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
you also said that it could be a fuse, are those just the regular fuses in the fuse box under the hood cause my thinking is if it were one of those fuses then wouldn't the whole cluster be out, or are there special fuses for the instrument cluster?
I'm not sure...I just read it in another thread as I was searching for how to remove the cluster...
Old 10-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
The service indicator board or batteries on the board have gone bad. I'm 99% sure a new SI board and batteries will solve your problem with the tach and temp gauge not working. Also, that is the right side of the cluster

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJNKY
Also, that is the right side of the cluster
hes speaking from the bug on the windshields view...duh

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks alot guys. Oh yeah sorry I just realized that I did say left BTW How much do those SI boards cost?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
One other thing. Does the ABS light come on if your pads are shot?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
One other thing. Does the ABS light come on if your pads are shot?
No, either the fuse has gone bad or the ABS relay under the drivers side of the dash has gone bad. There is a separate light for when your brake pads are low.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Thanks alot guys. Oh yeah sorry I just realized that I did say left BTW How much do those SI boards cost?
I can get you a brand new one for about $185 shipped anywhere in the continental US.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks do i get anything back for the core? Can I trust any of these guys on ebay for the SI Board? Cause I am watching a brand new rebuilt one for $168 shipped from a2eurotec and an additional $30 for the core.

Oh and yeah the brake lining light is on as well, I was just wondering if they were connected in any way as if one trips off the other or something.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Thanks do i get anything back for the core? Can I trust any of these guys on ebay for the SI Board? Cause I am watching a brand new rebuilt one for $168 shipped from a2eurotec and an additional $30 for the core.

Oh and yeah the brake lining light is on as well, I was just wondering if they were connected in any way as if one trips off the other or something.
Once we get your old board back in the orginal box the new one came in you get the $20 core charge credited back to you or we can give you $20 off on your next order. You can see what we sell at Valley Motorwerks - VMWERKS - BMW / Mini Service, Repair, and Parts then click store on the main page.

The brake lining light is on either because the pads are low, one of the sensor wires has been cut/worn through or the soder joint in the cluster has gone bad. All 3 were the cause of my brake lining light being on when I got my white E30 last year, rear pads were worn out, front sensor had been rubbed through from it not being clipped in place right and the soder joint in the cluster was cracked.

Last edited by BMWJNKY; 10-11-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos:
Quote:
I swear I got a new SI board for $120 AFTER the core refund...
Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
well you get a cookie! ^

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos:
I'm not sure if this link will work but here it's listed for $140 but I'm not sure if thats before or after the core refund.

S I board

Last edited by yammahamma; 10-11-2007 at 04:05 PM.
yammahamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)