Inspection Light Question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 08:47 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
quiklilrex is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I'm new to the BMW thing. I have a 86 325e automatic. Today the inspection light came on with the one yellow light. Can anyone out there tell me what that means and how I can get rid of it. Oh and after that came on my ABS light also came on, although it did go out after I restarted the car. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 10:07 PM
n00b

sniady is an unknown quantity at this point
inspection was made for you to take it to the dealer, get a oil change, and get the car checked bumper to bumper to see if it needs anything.

abs light - it might have been a intermitent fault, like a wheel speed sensor cut out for a second or whatever. If it comes back on, get it checked out.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 02:05 AM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
How many miles are on the car cause that will determine if it needs and inspection I or an inspection II. An inspection I service will be an oil change, adjust valves, check all interior and exterior bulbs, check headlight alignment and adjust if needed, fuel additive, top off all fluids, lube all hinges, clean all rubber seals(doors, hood and trunk), perform load test on battery, check starter amp and voltage draw, check charging voltage, check brake pad thickness, check tire pressures including spare tire, check drive belt condition, check for proper operation of A/C and heating system.

An Inspection II will include all of that list plus change diff fluid, change trans fluid, change fuel filter, replace air filter, and change spark plugs.

Some more things get checked but that is what I can remember off the top of my head. There is a two page sheet of stuff that gets checked durring an inspection.

Our shop charges 4 hours labor plus parts to do an Inspection.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 02:37 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
So the light doesn't mean that something is wrong with my car? is it set to go off every so many miles, or what?
Also My odometer doesn't even work, so I'm not sure exactly how many miles are on the vehicle.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 03:56 AM
Neutral Member

chowder is an unknown quantity at this point
well if it's the same as the e36, that means you need to get an inspection done...either you diy it (get a bently book) or you take it to a mechanic (try to stay away from the stealer)

edit: whoops! already got answered!
#6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 11:58 AM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Quote:
Originally posted by quiklilrex@Feb 27 2005, 12:37 AM
So the light doesn't mean that something is wrong with my car? is it set to go off every so many miles, or what?
Also My odometer doesn't even work, so I'm not sure exactly how many miles are on the vehicle.
[snapback]300218[/snapback]
No, there isn't anything wrong with the car when the Inspection light comes on, its just letting you know that it is time for servicing.

Does the speedo work? If the speedo works and the odo. doesn't chances are the gear has cracked that changes the milage and you need a new speedo/odo.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 02:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

e30fanm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e30fanm3 Send a message via Yahoo to e30fanm3
bavauto sells the gears now to fix the odometer
#8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:53 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
What and where can I get a "bentley"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)