im lowered!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 11:59 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jwardmls is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question im lowered!!!

i finally did it... i cut the front springs on my 91 318is... i took 2 coils off and it looks great and rides pretty decent. its had a few days to settle. so now im thinkin about the back. i noticed that the springs cone off @ the top and bottom. so theres nooo way im cuttin. any suggestions for lowering it about 1in-1 1/2in without spending a fortune?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
WHAT?!? 200$ for new springs is too much to ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
You may now add "yes, i'm an asshole" to your sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
#3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

iamcreepingdeath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwardmls View Post
i finally did it... i cut the front springs on my 91 318is... i took 2 coils off and it looks great and rides pretty decent. its had a few days to settle. so now im thinkin about the back. i noticed that the springs cone off @ the top and bottom. so theres nooo way im cuttin. any suggestions for lowering it about 1in-1 1/2in without spending a fortune?
I don't think you are going to get any positive recognition here for cutting your springs. If you don't want to spend a fortune, sell your 318 and buy a Honda Civic for $500 and then you can cut your springs.

#4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 08:52 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
ok... sooo sory im not rich guys i done it because i like the ride for one... for 2 coil overs and lowering springs dont go low enough... who are you guys to judge me for doin somethin different anyways? oh yeah cause hondas are the shit right? i own an 02 volvo s40 and this 318is. i kno its not high dollar but its better than honda... i joined this sight seeking technical advice not to be insulted... im sorry if there is some kind of standard for doin things where your @... i have 2 children, an average job, and i have bills to pay jus like everybody else. so here's you some advice, if you dont have any positive advice, dont leave offensive feedback. because the last time i checked forums were'nt made so ppl could revert to pre school maturity and have pissing contests... i got the car because i knew it was a good investment, not because i didnt want to put money into it. i jus dont have alot of money that im willing to sink into it right now... its just my lil project. end of story... thanx for nothing... anybody with any real advice about this issue?
#5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
Should bought some H&R race springs/IE Stage 3s or there are a couple of other options for a pretty good drop. Oh and be ready to replace your struts before too long with something that is sportier like the Bilstien sports since you will probably eat up your shocks/struts.

Oh so the technical advise you are looking for, don't cut springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
you could get a set of used springs for like 50$ wtf?!?

Quote:
Quote:
that's my whore ; )
#7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thank you for the input... to the other two members who replied... you have my appology. that was just uncalled for.... i already needed struts anyway so i figured since im not driving it right now that it couldnt hurt anything. i looked into getting the lowering springs but still, im just going to leave it alone until i can afford to meet the standards of bmw modifications... plus 2-4 hundred for 1.3-1.4 inch drop... not low enough... i cut my coils and got the ride i wanted and probably about a 2.5 inch drop. and i personally dont kno of any reason why i shouldnt buy a honda... the only real disadvantage they have to european cars is the fact that they have a timing belt instead of a chain... im sure that not all bmw's have timing chains, and that all honda's have a belt... im just givin credit where its due... im not worried about lowering the back for now, but still any POSITIVE feedback would be nice...
#8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 11:22 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
where can i get used springs for 50$ without having alot of shipping costs? and would somebody be kind enough to fill me in on the technical problem with cutting my springs? i kno that it could cause it to camber, i kno that will cause uneven tred wear, i kno everybody says not to... but what are the real issues with cutting springs? yea, its a poor mans way to drop a car... so what! it is an inexpensive fix, it was fun to do, and it didnt cause any unexpected problems... tell me what i personally have done wrong to MY PERSONAL VEHICLE... nothin... why so judgemental? so i cut my springs... if it was a mistake i will kno next time not to do it... then i will agree that it was a bad idea... and you will see a big fat "I WAS WRONG FOR DOING IT" on this thread... and if you think that everbody should have to have millions to blow on a car to be a member of this site then maybe you should send in a complaint... just a suggestion.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Not all Hondas have a timing belt. The S2000 2.2 is a chain, the 2.4 (as in the CRV, Element), and the newer 1.8 has also a chain.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Mr. Bacon

check the classifieds you will find springs for cheap ive seen a set go for 75$ thats an h&r race kit and it was in canada, prices in the US seem to be cheaper. cutting springs is just plain dangerous

Quote:
Quote:
that's my whore ; )
#11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I sense much anger in you. Anger leads to the Dark Side.

Anyway the main issue with cutting springs is the fact that you are significantly reducing spring travel, without increasing the spring rate (spring "hardness") at all, and it would cause your car to bottom out alot, and that destroys your suspension, not to mention the bottom of your car. Also, The spring no longer seats correctly into the shock, and it can un-seat over a good bump, which could send you out of control if you are going fast enough. Like was mentioned, dangerous.

Like i said, you won't get much positive recognition for it, because of the reasons listed above, just letting you know, i wasn't personally attacking you or anything.

The thing about the Honda Civic may have been unnecessary though, i guess people do that alot to their Hondas, and as BMW's are far better, you know the rest.

#12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:59 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
well, i owe you all an appology for my deffensive reply... i kno the risks and all, but it was just a little project... ive been out of work for alomost 2 months and i just decided that i should put my grinder to use. why is it that the lowering springs wont unseat and cut springs will? oh and, dannyb could you possibly post a link to a good classified site for bmw's? i knew some honda's had to have a chain.

also, as long as my heart stays in the light, i will never convert to the dark side... sorry for being so deffensive guys. im under alot of pressure here.....
#13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwardmls View Post
well, i owe you all an appology for my deffensive reply... i kno the risks and all, but it was just a little project... ive been out of work for alomost 2 months and i just decided that i should put my grinder to use. why is it that the lowering springs wont unseat and cut springs will? oh and, dannyb could you possibly post a link to a good classified site for bmw's? i knew some honda's had to have a chain.

also, as long as my heart stays in the light, i will never convert to the dark side... sorry for being so deffensive guys. im under alot of pressure here.....
As a very wise person once said, "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering..."

anyway, yeah the coils on springs aren't always equidistant from each other. Coils near the top and bottom of the spring become closer together, and "level off" somewhat, to allow a better seating. Aftermarket springs do this also, and are shorter, and also have a much stiffer spring rate to compensate for the lowering, and also the stiffer rate greatly improves handling. Just keep watching ebay... something will pop up. Also search the classified sections of this site, bimmerforums.com, r3vlimited.com, and m42club.com. Someone will be selling their lowering springs because they will be upgrading to something else, or because of a wrecked car, or something like that.

I have a 1991 318is myself, and the previous owner had installed spring clamps on the front springs to clamp two of the coils together to lower the car. Not as unsafe as cutting, but still pretty bad. I plan to get H&R springs and Bilstien shocks myself. And i know what ya mean when you say you are broke. I have a job, but it doesn't seem to help. It is all i can do to stay on top of the bills and buy enough gas to go to work and back.

#14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:26 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Modern springs are usually progressive rate, which means they are harder to compress as pressure is increased.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:36 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
okay, i get it now... if i hit a big enough bump the spring could come unseated from the shock/strut and drop the car on the ground... right? what if i were to weld the spring in place on the shock/strut? im going to have to replace it all anyway, so for right now would that make it safer to drive? thank you for the sites ill keep an eye out for some springs... to tell the truth my older brother kinda talked me into doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)