Ignition System Questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 11:05 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Scotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Howdy folks. This being my first post here, let me take the time to say awsome forum, good info all around.

My current (and only) rolling project car is a '90 325I convertable which I've had for about 5 years. My mods thus far are mostly in the suspension catagory, since I reasoned starting there before I moved on to making it faster would be a good idea.

This is it so far suspension wise:

Racing Dynamics sway bar upgrade
Urethane bushings on control and trailing arms
Urethane subframe bushings
Bavarian lowering springs
ANSA 16" wheels wrapped in yokahama(sp?) AVS100 tires

Soon to come: since I've experienced rear sway bar mount failure as well as trailing arm mounting point breakage (argh!) I chucked it all and procured new rear trailing arms and had the swaybar mounting point reinforced. Purchasing billet sway bar brackets from IE in the super near future.

All in all, car handles very well.

This summer, I got nuts and removed the rear seats (who uses them anyway) and in place of them I added a pair of 12" audiobahn subs and a pair of 6.5" component speakers plus amps from the same maker. LOUD, perhaps slightly to loud. I wrapped them all in a custom box of my own design (which has since been taken out, redone, taken out, redone....etc, you get the picture) I'm trying to make it flow with the body lines when the top is down. In the end, I'll remove it one last time, fiberglass it, and paint it to match the interrior.

On to my question.
I recently did a "big six" air flow meter upgrade (which I am very happy with) and am in the process of adding larger injectors and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas about upgrading the ignition coil at the same time? I'm not sure what the output voltage of the stock coil is, so I guess you could say that's my real question. I've had the coil out and looked it over, but have been unable to find anything reguarding it's output voltage. I've heard good things about the blaster II coil with an output of 45k volts, and am wanting opinions and input on this particular item. I should note that as an eventuality, I'm going to remove the engine and replace it with one I'm currently working on which will have ported head with larger valves, extrude honed intake, IE 3.0L stroker kit, overbore throttle body, and a cam which I haven't decided on yet. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
I was running a blaster 3 coil for a while, just upgraded to fully digital ignition control (crane hi-6 with TRC-2 ignition control)

made the power band much smoother. after i put in my ireland engineering upgraded injectors yesterday, buttery smooth indeed.

had to modify the blaster to fit with the ignition wires though. i have a blaster 3 i'll sell you if you are interested, just pulled it out of my vehicle a few days ago.

just re-gap your spark plugs with an extra .05 inches of gap, to get the extra benefit of the high voltage system. make sure to upgrade your spark wires to 8mm or larger spark wires though, and your distro/rotor are in good order.

#3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 01:39 PM
n00b

Scotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by nukeduster@Jun 24 2005, 11:39 AM
I was running a blaster 3 coil for a while, just upgraded to fully digital ignition control (crane hi-6 with TRC-2 ignition control)

made the power band much smoother. after i put in my ireland engineering upgraded injectors yesterday, buttery smooth indeed.

had to modify the blaster to fit with the ignition wires though. i have a blaster 3 i'll sell you if you are interested, just pulled it out of my vehicle a few days ago.

just re-gap your spark plugs with an extra .05 inches of gap, to get the extra benefit of the high voltage system. make sure to upgrade your spark wires to 8mm or larger spark wires though, and your distro/rotor are in good order.
[snapback]356653[/snapback]

Thanks for the info Nuke, tell me more about the crane digital system though. If something like that is applicable to my year / model perhaps that's the route I'll go instead. By the way, nice sig. I was an 11B in my day.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
The system I have cost $500. Its not for everyone, but I got it because I can control my spark retard by varying ammounts based on alot of different things. There is a module (the TCU-01 i think) that will let you both control spark advance and retard if you are going naturally aspirated. With the tcu-1 the price rises to around $600 though.

I went for the TRC-2 because I am going turbocharged and it has a MAP sensor that lets me control how much spark retard the engine sees based on boost levels.(eg: retard 3 degrees spark for every 1 psi boost) or lets you set a retard of after x rpm retard spark x ammount.

The TCU lets you do that, plus you can do spark advance too. Basically the same thing as a aftermarket chip, but more controllable, but only affects spark.

Just the base Hi-6 system is good too, but doesnt allow you to control spark much, other then you can create a secondary rev limiter which is very effective and accurate. But it sparks up to 12 times per power stroke at low revs which does make for a more complete combustion. It basically produces a spark or multiple sparks to there is a constant spark for 20 degrees of rotation for every power stroke.

I'll take a couple quick pictures this afternoon if I get a chance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)