Idle Control Valve - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1990 BMW 325i Sedan
Photos:
terry717 is on a distinguished road
Idle Control Valve

Obviously by the title of the part it controls my idle. Here's the scenario, gave my 90 325i a complete tuneup, fuel pump was going out so I changed that and the filter. It was all original equipment that I took off so it was needed, but anyways I was hoping it would help take care of a rough idle it had. Still have, anyways I hear a bit of hissing (vacuum leaks it sounds like) right around the ICV. i unplugged it as it was running, and absolutely no change in idle. I am assuming it should have changed my idle up or down right? There was no variation at all after unplugging. If it were faulty would it hiss like a vacuum leak? And my idle kinda lopes like a vacuum leak. Any ideas? Thanks, Terry
terry717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
TravisW is on a distinguished road
I just started having almost this same exact issue after driving mine for about a week now. it had been sitting up for almost 2 months when i got it so i figured some seafoam, tune up and all new fluids would do the trick.

the other thing mines doing though is it takes forever to get it started. gotta turn the key a few times now but once it starts other than a rough idle it runs perfect on the road...
TravisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
TravisW is on a distinguished road
mine ended up being the fuel pressure regulator. I swapped the pump and inline filter out on wednesday and it ran a little better. I nearly torn what little hair i have left on my head out after the starting issue came back a day later. On a whim i noticed the vacuum line to the FPR was kinda nasty and I was out of rubber hose so i used some clear hose for a small engine. Fuel was seeping out of the FPR and into the intake manifold. swapped it out, sucked some seafoam into the manifold and let it idle with some revs for about 20 minutes. Runs great. Now just gotta fix all the rust holes in the exhaust so i dont sound like a mud truck rolling through Memphis

also, take the IAC valve out and hit it with some carb cleaner, should do the trick.
TravisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)