Idle =( - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
and0pand0 is on a distinguished road
Idle =(

Car:

1991 BMW 318is, M42 engine

Problem:

On my way to school last friday, my car started to idle funky... It was staying at about 650 and going up/down by about 75 rpms. I could rear the engine doing it. It was very cold outside, there was ice on my windshield. I figured it was just reacting to the cold weather.

On my way to school, it seemed like there was flat spots in my RPM range. Sometimes it would accelerate fine, but other times it felt like I was being pulled back or something? Over the weekend I pulled out my plugs and it looked like I was running lean. I removed the upper/lower intake manifold and got new gaskets. The walls inside the intake manifolds were CAKED in oil or something? Especially the lower intake manifold. A lot of the hoses were cracked, and so I replaced them, cleaned out the intake manifolds and cleaned the fuel injectors which already weren't that dirty and put everything back together (head-scratching because I had no vacuum diagram... I couldn't get one from school, OR EVEN THE DEALER!). Now the car sounds a lot better =) But it's still surging at idle, going up/down about 75rpms. I removed the valve cover to check the gasket for leaks, but I dont see any at all. Infact the rocker cover gasket looks like it's in great shape, along with my cams =)

So uhhh... where do I go from here?
and0pand0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2005, 03:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally Posted by and0pand0
Car:

1991 BMW 318is, M42 engine

Problem:

On my way to school last friday, my car started to idle funky... It was staying at about 650 and going up/down by about 75 rpms. I could rear the engine doing it. It was very cold outside, there was ice on my windshield. I figured it was just reacting to the cold weather.

On my way to school, it seemed like there was flat spots in my RPM range. Sometimes it would accelerate fine, but other times it felt like I was being pulled back or something? Over the weekend I pulled out my plugs and it looked like I was running lean. I removed the upper/lower intake manifold and got new gaskets. The walls inside the intake manifolds were CAKED in oil or something? Especially the lower intake manifold. A lot of the hoses were cracked, and so I replaced them, cleaned out the intake manifolds and cleaned the fuel injectors which already weren't that dirty and put everything back together (head-scratching because I had no vacuum diagram... I couldn't get one from school, OR EVEN THE DEALER!). Now the car sounds a lot better =) But it's still surging at idle, going up/down about 75rpms. I removed the valve cover to check the gasket for leaks, but I dont see any at all. Infact the rocker cover gasket looks like it's in great shape, along with my cams =)

So uhhh... where do I go from here?
remove your valve cover again, look at the top of it, take off that rubber seal, clean it up nicley, get some hi temp scilicon, and run a thin bead all the way along and then put the plastic piece back on. you were getting oil in your lines from that unit. that should probably solve your problem, if not, then let me know.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 2001 E46 320ci with ESS TS2
Photos:
Paraklas is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski
remove your valve cover again, look at the top of it, take off that rubber seal, clean it up nicley, get some hi temp scilicon, and run a thin bead all the way along and then put the plastic piece back on. you were getting oil in your lines from that unit. that should probably solve your problem, if not, then let me know.

You mean that's the cause for the oil inside the intake manifold? Grrr mine is filled with oil and dirt. How do you clean it?
Paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
Take it off and clean it. Usually a soak with mid duty degreaser, like a solvent, for about ten minutes will break up the residue. Then rinse out with water, let 'er dry, and go to town putting it back together. I've used this on the several motors i've rebuilt prior to painting the blocks, and it does the job well enough. You could also used Brak-Kleen, or a similar grease dissolving aerosol, because they dry super fast, after washing the residue off.

Dave

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
and0pand0 is on a distinguished road
more

I removed both the upper and lower intake manifold and cleaned it out with denatured alchohol and wire brushes of different sizes. Cleaned it out really good, made a mess though (in the sink in my garage).

The oil was coming from the PCV that goes from the top of the valve cover to the bottom of the throttle body, if that helps. I replaced the hose, but I couldn't find the part number for the "coupler". There's 2 of these "couplers", and they are hooked together with metal tubing (like a metal fuel line). Coolant runs through that line, then theres a vacuum line that runs through them and the PCV. I took the whole coupling assembly down to a hose supplier/maker and asked them what I should do to fix it (the PCV part had a crack that was leaking on my engine's wiring harness =(). The guy said that he'd fix it for me right then and there for free. I was like "COOL!"...

He gets a fucking roll of duct tape and zip ties the duct tape over the crack...

Seems like it's working tho! lol

You think that I still need to use a gasket-type sealer on the valve cover? Will RTV work?
and0pand0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)