IC/Stereo wiring prob - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 01:13 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FroznToes is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I recently purchased an 87 325e for my wife, and some idiot of a kid jerry-rigged a cheap aftermarket stereo into the dash (idiot, cuz he even cut the antenna lead). after taking the head unit out, and seperating the mess of wires, I am unable to get the Tach/MPG gauses to function properly. I connect the gry/red wire to the violet/gry wire, and then the tach works, but the MPG gauge pegs out to the top (well over the 40MPG hash mark) at idle, I disconnected the wire again, and the MPG settles down to around 25 MPG, but the Tach then fails... any thoughts?

does anyone know any resources for quality wiring schematics, as the ones in my Chilton's guide are crap...

Thanks

Ross
Anchorage, Alaska
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 01:24 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
I realize the following diagram is for an e36, but I don't think BMW changed much of the wiring between these years.

If this helps in no way, search unofficialbmw.com as their site contains a wealth of knowledge concerning such problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e36_200w_stereo_pinouts.gif
Views:	3750
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	7815  

#3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 01:45 AM
n00b

FroznToes is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
thanks for the try, but there arent anything close to that many wires for the stereo. I have the following wires, and have ID for some:

Violet/Gray - Switched 12v
White - Power Antenna
Yellow - Speaker +
Yellow/brown - Speaker -
Red/green - ?????
Lt Blue - Speaker
Blue/Red (or maybe Orange) - Speaker
Gray/Red - ?????
Brown - Ground

this was really a mess.. this doesn't even count the 6, yes 6, various types and gauges of speaker wire that was jumbled in there! all of it just twist spliced and wrapped in electrical tape

kid didn't even try to tuck the wires behind the dash or under the carpet, they were routed out the side of the console and over the seats

I found a small article on unofficialbmw, but it didn't explain anything about the tach/mpg gauge. but it did answer the stereo wiring stuff, so thanx for that

Ross
Anchorage, Alaska
#4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 12:20 PM
5th Gear Member

Aether is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Aether Send a message via MSN to Aether
Well, as for the economy meter, it's going to top out if you're going like ten miles an hour without pushing on the gas. It's analog, so it'll fly around a bit when it is working properly. That's just what it does.

Four Five Six - It's on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)