i wanna try something with my motor - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: '79 320-6 (needs some work)
Photos:
AE86PandaDuda is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AE86PandaDuda
i wanna try something with my motor

ok my motor has been complete for a while now and i really want to hear it run.... however with the no spark problem and plenty of testing of just about every wire i can only assume the computer took a dump..... as usual, most of us want to be sure its the problem before throwing money at parts.....so my situation is i want to try with a known good computer with my bimmer, however, its been a few days since i posted a thread on the local forum for my area and still no reply. i would to borrow a computer instead of spending 300 dollars and hope it fixes it since currently im broke and dont have very much money right now. in case if you guys r wondering, my computer has the numbers
0 227 100 025 casted in it. thanks for ne help.
AE86PandaDuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
i know i cant check my computer directly but what i want to try is a known good computer to see if the car works or not. right now it has no spark with the current computer but if i change out the computer to a known good one that came off a running bmw, then i can tell if my bmw has a problem with a computer simply if it starts up. if you want i can try to go into more detail of what im trying to accomplish here.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
silversled can only hope to improve
the ECU will not keep the car from starting....just wont....it may in open loop but the engine will start...if you have a short severe enough to blow the ECU then who would lend a known good module to blow? It's something else
silversled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
im pretty sure by looking at the wiring diagram that the ecu recieves the signal from the crank position sensor and then turns the coil on or off depending on the signal at the time given. my dad and i checked the battery, then the first thing we did was check for spark at the spark plug (which there wasn't) then we check at the center post of the cap (again, no spark) and after that, we checked both the power and the ground wires for the coil including testing the coil by our own means (coil is good it can make spark but something isnt in normal state) which in turn makes us believe its the computer. and there couldnt have been a mistake somewhere to fry the computer. i made sure all wires in every circuit i messed with when i did my rebuild were set back where they belong.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
GTR750EVO is on a distinguished road
I've seen the crank position sensor fail and then the computer/ignition module will not know it needs to fire. I just had this happen to my Jeep right after I did some work on it. You should be able to measure the resistance on your crank position sensor and compare that to whatever a normal reading should be. My Jeep just happened to be 200-250 ohms cold but yours could be and probably is considerably different but you should get some level of resistance regardless. Hope this helps.
GTR750EVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)