I Need A Referee!!!!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2004, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
dlhirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

Okay, I made a stupid error - in a panic, I jacked up my '88 e30 with a hydraulic jack under the control arm. It was under one of the bolts, but it still wrong. I know, I know...
So, when I got in and drove away. the steering wheel was about 150 deg. off. It drove strange, and I figured it was in need of attention etc.
I took it to a friend's tire/oil place and he reported: "you hit something, hit it hard. there is no way that this was cuased by jacking it up. the wheel is cambered in at the top. You need a new strut. Bending the c-arm would have it cambered the other way". He was insistant that I needed a new strut.
Well, I didn't hit anything. It was done by my stupid error.
I then talked to a BMW repair/parts place. They said that there is no way that you could bend the strut by jacking it up. He said that it was probably the c-arm. But it appears that the result is not from a bad c-arm.

Question: could I have damaged the strut mount at the top - so that it is causing the wheel to camber like it is.

Oh thank you somebody out there!!!!1
dlhirving is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2004, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
I doubt that you damaged the strut assembly, I did the same thing (jacked strut) to get alignment for my sway bar end links (get the threaded rod and hole in alignment), however I would really look closely at the control arm.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
dlhirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey - thanks.
With the c-arm, should I simply look for a bend and take some measurements? I guess that is about all i could do.....
dlhirving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Yup take measurements and see if she is out of tolerance, and if it is bent, I would not try to straighten her, but would buy a new arm (or at least a used one, but then there is the issue of the used bushing).
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)