I need insight on exhaust! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
llll1l1ll is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to llll1l1ll
(Thread Starter)
Anyway, I'm planning on getting a new, performance exhaust system on my '88 BMW 325is. Now, I was thinking Remus, but I don't think that the guy was going to give me cat-back. My friend said cat-back would be the best choice rather than just a muffler, like the guy was going to give me. Now, the guy said that Remus may not make cat-back systems for my car anymore (wtf?!), and so now I've been looking at Tri-Flo, and I'm thinking they have to make cat-back systems for my car. Otherwise, I was thinking about buying the Remus muffler and taking it to some muffler shop and telling them to make some pipes for my car from the cat back. Y'know, bigger pipes. I know this would probably take out the resonator, but I really don't care about that. Although, I've never heard one of my cars without the resonator, and the only thing I'm worried about is getting an exhaust system that sounds like a rice-rocket. Plus, Bavauto.com sells a lot of exhaust stuff, and I was planning on buying from there, but they don't really give good information on the specs of the exhaust. I know Super-sprint makes cat back systems (at least I've heard that) and I don't know how good they are. Any kind of insight to this would really help out a lot, because there aren't too many people down here in NC (other than the BMW CCA, which I'm in) that know a lot about BMW performance modifications. This is so aggrivating!!

--Pete

Three rocker arms later and I still haven't learned my lesson!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 02:04 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

MrM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrM3
Welcome,

if your current exhaust looks like crap and is rotting out then i understand why you want a new one, but alot of those brand name cat-back exhausts run around $600-$800. and alot of those cat-back exhaust come with stock diameter pipes, or close to stock for some. so if your current pipes are ok then just buy a muffler and have it welded on to your existing pipes. your car doesnt have a resonator, a resonator replaces the cat, so if you need new pipes welded on then it wont be a big deal, but it will jack up the costs. i know ppl who have a Brullen muffler welded on to existing pipes and it looks and sounds great and costs around $400, when the Brullen cat back is around 650-700. However brands like supersprint, stromung, and maybe triflow, only make cat-back systems so that idea is out for them. there's also the option of getting a custom exhaust done at a muffler shop, which is probably the cheapest, and wont be too inferior to those brand name cat-backs
#3 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 03:04 PM
Fox

Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
if you want a cat back system dont even bother about remus or triflow for 2 reasons. They dont really make them for e30. And 2 if you can find one they arnt that good sounding (more to the type of a honda not a bmw) and are still expensive. What you need is a stromung exhaust. They are by far in my opinion the best for e30. You can get them at a very good price at

http://www.machschnell.com/e30-325i.html

They are galvanized (this is the wrong term since galvanizing is for steel but i cant think of the similar term for aluminum) aluminum and are lighter and cheaper than stainless steel competitors. And they sound deep growl.

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Fox</span></span> <span style='color:gray'>the Pirate</span>
Diplomacy is saying &quot;nice doggy&quot; until you find a rock.</span>

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

m42technic is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to m42technic Send a message via MSN to m42technic Send a message via Yahoo to m42technic
Quote:
Originally posted by Fox@Oct 25 2003, 12:44 PM
if you want a cat back system dont even bother about remus or triflow for 2 reasons. They dont really make them for e30.
What is that supposed to mean? used

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>James
'91 318is</span>
#5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 09:10 PM
Fox

both those companies really only do e36-46. Not really so much of triflo but with supersprint

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Fox</span></span> <span style='color:gray'>the Pirate</span>

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Half the reason I'm getting a new muffler is the fact that mine has a hole in it and is just starting to rust and rot out. I'm definitely glad you all put some good information about mufflers, because it really helped out a whole lot! I never knew that most muffler systems come with the same size piping as my stock tubes, so now I see why that guy was just going to sell me the muffler. This makes things a lot easier for me, because now I can truly make an educated decision on what I want. Man, this takes a load off my mind... If anybody else has any ideas, it would be great!

--Pete

#7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Btw, Strömung/Schneller=hell yes. They definitely seem like they know what they're doing. I am definitely going to look into them...

--Pete

#8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 01:11 AM

it may be hard to get a alluminum stromung system, i think theyve been discontinued for around a year, and that website may not be up to date. but i will say that stromung is the best sounding exhaust for a e30 ive heard aswell
#9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 01:09 AM
Fox

negative, they havnt been discontinued as to stromung makes everything in house to-order. Other companys like remus make it inhouse as well but do only a few specified models. Stromung will make anything you ask them to.

#10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 01:32 AM

well then you would have to order it directly from stromung, because ive heard that stromung doesnt distribute the Al exhaust anymore to retailers
#11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I live in the US. Would ordering from Stromung take a while? Or are they based here in the US?

--Pete

#12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 01:39 AM
Fox

Straight out of california they are. Dunno about the order time. Best bet is just to call up machschneller.

#13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by llll1l1ll@Oct 26 2003, 02:15 AM
I live in the US. Would ordering from Stromung take a while? Or are they based here in the US?

--Pete
i believe they are shipped direct from LA
#14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, I think I'll order from Machschneller, or most likely TCKlinerracing.com because they offer the full stainless cat back system in the price range I'm looking at.

--Pete

P.S. I could just take it to a muffler shop, but I doubt any of them down here would know what to do. Most shops deal with trucks. Ugh. I hate the south.

#15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by llll1l1ll@Oct 26 2003, 02:39 AM
Yeah, I think I'll order from Machschneller, or most likely TCKlinerracing.com because they offer the full stainless cat back system in the price range I'm looking at.

--Pete

P.S. I could just take it to a muffler shop, but I doubt any of them down here would know what to do. Most shops deal with trucks. Ugh. I hate the south.
huh? what would you need a muffler shop for? the stromung is a full cat-back system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)