I need to break into my car.... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 08:10 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jtorres is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to jtorres
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Hey guys, i need some major help. Let me tell you my little horror story. About a couple of months ago, i went to rosarito for the weekend, and stayed at a hotel. when it was time to come back, the valet guy handed me a broken key to my baby (read: e30). Luckily, i had my spare key with me, and i managed to come back to san diego safely and in time to watch the super bowl. Anyway, yesterday at school (PLNU) i managed to get my key lost....my spare key. So, i call AAA, and they get me back into my car. So when I try to get my glovebox open so that i can get my registration and bill of sale, i find that i had locked it before hand. BMW won't sell me a new set of keys (~$40) and all my proof of ownership is in that glove box. They suggested getting a locksmith (~$65 after AAA pays $60) or I can break the lock on the glove box and get new keys and a new lock (~$75)....being that i am a poor college student, both options are expensive. Ideally, i would like to break into my glove box with out doing much damage, and then only buy a new set of keys from BMW. So my question is, does anyone have any ideas on how to go about on succesfully breaking into my glove box? Any suggestion would help!!!

If this will help, its a 1988 325.

Thanks again,
-jose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
#1 go back to that vaet, and he or the company he worked for has to pay for your keys. Valet lost my dads lexus key (ls400) and they had to pay. Lexus only sells the keys in pairs, so they cost that valet company $400. They haev to pay for it. About the glovebox, I believe there should be a thign so u can take the back off the track. Anyways have an admin move this to the e30 forum, they always know this kinda stuff.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

DeathMetal is an unknown quantity at this point
Go back to the valet? We're talking about Mexico. here! He'll just laugh in his face.

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Member of the Out of the Closet &quot;I Listen to Metal and own a Bimmer&quot; Club</span></span>
#4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 11:01 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
AHHA there is ur problem. why wud u hand over ur keys to a valet in mexico???

hello grand theft auto

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 11:24 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, I know it sounds shady....but it was actually a nice hotel in rosarito....after all, it is a resort town. But what was that about taking the glove box off its track? Is this done from underneath or something?
#6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 01:51 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Any suggestion on how to break the lock on the glovebox? or take it apart?
#7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 02:05 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute
The lock on the glovebox in my old 318i broke. After several hours of trying I finally located a replacement glovebox and broke the front of the old glovebox out. I had no luck trying to open it form the back. I got the replacement glovebox for free so I have no idea on cost. If the lock is cheaper you might be able to do the old straight screw driver in the slot and force it to turn breaking the lock. It may just be easier to pay the locksmith to open it if it will end up being only $65. It should not take him long and how much is the aggrivation of repairing a good part worth?
Ben

&quot;It's not because I'm an aggressive driver, it's because I'm an idiot&quot; actual quote from my wife.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 07:51 PM
n00b

jnmoore is an unknown quantity at this point
I had my lock break a few years ago on my 1984 318i. You can access the screws for the back hinges with the box closed. If you take out the 4 screws the back of the box will dropdown enough so that a person with small hands can retrieve contents.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear Member

TECH is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't had to break into any, but you MIGHT be able to unbolt it from the very back, under the dash. There are some 10mm bolts that mount the hinges. Try and pull it down some and reach your arm up into it.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 04:39 AM
Neutral Member

pogiboy9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to pogiboy9 Send a message via MSN to pogiboy9
Unscrew...... the bottom..... where the panel's swivel is located. Come on now. the cover is one piece, @ the junkyard = entrace = $1 glove box = $10. GG. but first try to unscrew from the bottom. Btw the whole replacement that is, might be hard being its in mexico. But easiest way is to call the resort and tell them that u need to contact their manager to clarify that your lawyer is going to contact them for a lawsuit. And he'll ask why, then say just to simply complain that there valet broke your key causing a domino affect in your life with this and that and blah and this and that. But thats not a big issue. Make them pay for all that its caused IE: AAA fees, spare key fees, anxiety whatever man. No big deal. Last resort, go Junkyard get a glove or ask someone for glove cover. then Break that shit.
#11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:44 AM
1st Gear Member

DeathMetal is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by pogiboy9@Mar 29 2004, 06:19 AM
Unscrew...... the bottom..... where the panel's swivel is located. Come on now. the cover is one piece, @ the junkyard = entrace = $1 glove box = $10. GG. but first try to unscrew from the bottom. Btw the whole replacement that is, might be hard being its in mexico. But easiest way is to call the resort and tell them that u need to contact their manager to clarify that your lawyer is going to contact them for a lawsuit. And he'll ask why, then say just to simply complain that there valet broke your key causing a domino affect in your life with this and that and blah and this and that. But thats not a big issue. Make them pay for all that its caused IE: AAA fees, spare key fees, anxiety whatever man. No big deal. Last resort, go Junkyard get a glove or ask someone for glove cover. then Break that shit.
A lawsuit? Good luck getting a fair shake in the Mexican legal system! Also good luck finding an American lawyer that's even willing to try navigating through that mess.

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Member of the Out of the Closet &quot;I Listen to Metal and own a Bimmer&quot; Club</span></span>
#12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 02:21 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, i couldn't unscrew it, so i pretended to be a car thief and stuck with a flat head screw driver. I stuck the screw driver like a key into the lock and broke the screw driver....i guess i won't tell my housemate about his screw driver...we'll just say its missing....so i broke that latch instead. turns out, that if you can stick some sort of flat metal thing above the latch, you can catch the hook that locks the box into the dash...but i had to break it to find out....well, i guess i know for next time. by the way, i went to rosarito this weekend again, and i gotta say i've never been so screwed over down there like i was this weekend. but 1/5 times isn't bad.maybe i'll make a site reviewing baja california clubs and such to save other mexico thrill seekers some grief....thanks for the suggestions guys, and i totally forgot that i can go to a junkyard and get the stuff for way less than new...
-jose
#13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 02:32 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by jtorres@Mar 30 2004, 03:01 PM
turns out, that if you can stick some sort of flat metal thing above the latch, you can catch the hook that locks the box into the dash
I spend about 2 hours trying this with no success. You have to hook both sides of the latch and squeze them together. Finally gave up and broke it like you did. Glad to here you got into it.
Ben

&quot;It's not because I'm an aggressive driver, it's because I'm an idiot&quot; actual quote from my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)