Here are a few pics of the car currently: (I'll soon have a website with all the pictures I took)
These were all taken AFTER we spent about 4-5 hours cleaning it - before pictures will be on the website later.
Yep, that's one clean engine!
Anyways, the car is absolutely awesome. I'm loving it. Prior to us purchasing it, around $2000 worth of work had been done on the engine, a bunch of things - timing belt being one of them. That was about 4 months ago. The engine is AMAZING! However, the car is far from perfect. One major drawback is the fact that it is no longer original BMW paint, and instead was painted by the pervious owners students, in college. His car musta been pretty bad if he was willing to let his students paint it...
With the student's paint job came a few drips, seen is various spots of the car. Definately something I can get over.
Another, cloth. Not as bad as the paint job, but I love the recaro seats, so, I have my eye open for a whole set of black interior.
There's a few cracks in the dashboard too..
ghead Also, when we first got the car, it was pretty dang dirty. The exterior had water spots all over it, and still sort of has it - and the interior was a MESS! I have some before and after shots of the interior on my mini website, I should have taken more before -> after shots, but didn't think about it at the time.
I've already looked into numerous ideas that I had after getting the car - one that was already mentioned was looking into getting leather sport interior.
Here are some of my ideas - also included with each one are any questions I may have:
1. Performance chip!
- I have read A LOT about the performance chip in the eta engine. I can't wait to get it. I'm looking mainly at getting the Conforti chip, giving this car an awesome boost in power.
I was going to buy from Turner Motorsports, where my dad got his for his 1988 325is back in 88
(it was silver too, dang, I would have given anything for that car now!)
2. New boot and shift knob
- The current boot is ripped and the knob seems really "oldish". I knows its classic, but I wouldn't mind getting an E36 style knob. (I can keep the old one
- The boot is ripped because to go in reverse, I have to move the knob all the way to the left. I think this has to do with the poor linkage - or whatever you call it. I don't know the exact terms. I do know that the stick is very loose, and I'd love to fix this - move to 5 for more on this...
3. New sunroof crank
- The black plastic knob on the end of it keep falling off, really annoying.
4. I'd love to look into putting a nicer OBC in there
- The one currently in there keeps flickering, and I'd like to have AVG MPG and stuff anyway.
- My question with this is, does the 325 have all the needed wires to USE the nicer OBC? I did find this thing on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2427086574
Will I need something like that? Or can I just buy a nicer OBC and plug it in and I'm all set?
5. Maybe look into a short shifer
- Short shift would be awesome. My dad has it in his 95 E36 M3, it is awesome for autocrosses, that's for sure!
- One other reason to get it would be because the linkage is loose anyway, or would extra work be involved to fix that also? I'm not sure on this..
6. Sound system - radio
- Holy crap!! The sound is HORRIBLE!!! Only 4 speaker system? Sorry, I'd love to have eight, what do I do about it? I think my first priority is to fix the headunit - my dad thinks the volume control has a short in it, because any time you change the volume, all the speakers crackle, and not even all of them work, I have to keep bumping the volume control until it seems like the front speakers are finally working. I'm a little confused here, but I did find this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2426887202
I may look into getting a whole new system anyway.
7. Replace roundels
- This should be higher on the list, one of the first things I'll do. Front and back are cracking and all the roundels on the wheels are faded.
8. Fix turn signal switch so that it turns off - ON ITS OWN
- Ah, it bugs me. I could get used to it, but the question it, how hard is it to fix? I did find this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2427451848
Would putting that in fix it? But, how hard would it be to install?
9. New emergency brake boot
- I'm looking to get a boot that matches the boot for the shifter
10. Find better place for CD Player controller
- The previous owner installed a JVC 6 CD Player. It uses the FMS radio band, and the headunit receives the music on a certain frequency. It's not bad by any means, but I think I'll look into something a bit more effective in the future - For now I want to find a better spot for it. It currently comes out from the right sidde of the steering column and it velcroed to te dashboard right before the dials. It's hard to see when you're driving, but where else could I possibly put it?
I think that's it for the interior - now for the exterior...
- I was thinking of looking into switching out the big aluminum bumpers for the post 88 plastic bumpers, being a lot shorter and cooler looking. However, I wasn't sure if I should do it or not. If I do, I should probably do it first before I do anything else with the exterior. However, it won't be cheap. So, the question is, should I get rid of the famous aluminum bumpers so I can use the fancy plastic ones? Or keep them?
12. Front air dam
- Either way, I will be getting a front air dam. I found one here off of an 87 325is - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2427492462
However, I'd like to have the whole car look level, ya know? I'm not fond of the look where the air dam gets lower than the rest of the car, and I think that air dam does just that. So, what would I get to make the car look level???
- Also, would fog lights work in this? If so, what would I get? I don't think there are any included.
13. Rear effects
- That rear end looks REALLY naked. What should I look into getting to fix that?
14. Maybe a dual muffler, or whatever its called...
- Something that would look nice as it pokes out from under the rear ground effects and helps add a much more powerful sound to it. It's no where near loud right now.
15. Front clear turn signals!
- Where do I find these?!? If I decide to keep the stock bumpers, where I find these? I found this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2427492462
But it says only 88-91, meaning plastic bumpers, correct? I think I did find some are Turner Motorspot, however.
16. Reded tail lights
- Something I'd love to find. Where can I find these? Or, has everyone been doing them on their own? if so, how would I go about doing that?
17. Maybe some new rubber trim?
- I found that I could buy all new rubber trim for the car, everything's really faded right now, and I know it would look aweosme with all new trim. Maybe even some new - not to faded - mirrors? But, is it worth the money? Also, this would only happen if I stayed with the stock bumpers.
18. Long time from now - Look into getting some new windows, somewhat tinted
- The current windows have a very nice subtle tint to them, its great for when its sitting outside! However, the windows themselves have lots of scratches on them, and some new windows would look great.
I think that's it. I bet there were more ideas that I had that I just didn't add. Some things that will NEED to be done no matter what include:
1. New brake pads - maybe new rotors. Not sure on this one either.
I thought there'd be more there too, but, as I said, the car itself is in GREAT working order, it's amazing. Oh, and I never mentioned that it has 159,600 miles.
Now, for the big time questions. I have noticed a few things when driving it around the first few days:
1. When accelerating, I sometimes notice a very feint lag, VERY feint, but it is VERY there. I'm not sure what its from, lately I've noticed it a bit more then when I first started driving.
Could it be possible that the car already has the chip and that maybe the previous owner wasn't using 91 octane gas? I hope not, cause I want more power!
If that's not it, which I hope it isn't, what else could be causing this?
I probably have more questions, but I think I'll give those that are reading this a rest now. My fingers are getting tired and I think that's enough for one post.
Yes, I'm new, and YES I have lots to learn, but that's why I'm here. My dad is into BMW's and now he's gotten me into them too. I don't think I'll ever drive anything else!