Huge problem with engine output power - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:32 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Adam Gill is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Huge problem with engine output power

Hi Guys,

Need some help. Just bought E30, 88 model 325i last week. Awesome car i must say. Only drove it twice, but yesterday bump into huge problem. Before, it use to give the aggressive power output but yesterday it dropped all of sudden. My smart ars brother, without my knowledge, poured fuel injector and carby cleaner into the fuel tank. From 1st -2nd gear, it went to 20km; 2nd-3rd, it went to 40; and by 5th gear it was at 80km. Prior to this, 1st -2nd gear, it was going at 50km, 2nd - 3rd, it was going at 70km and reaching 3rd gear it was touching 90-100km...

Anyone out there could give their expert opinion on resolving this issue? Appreciate it very much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
So it wont rev as high now?

I'm having a hard time coming up with why it wouldn't, but honestly pouring in a bottle of fuel injector or whatever shouldn't make it do that.

#3 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hi Torque,

Yes. It wont. Before, it use to punch in with power. When i m on 1st gear, just 1/4 of pressing throttle, it kicks in with power. Haven't press full throttle yet. Press full, ohhhh, beautiful...they car just flies... and it goes with the rest of changing gears.. Now, the 1st gear, RPM shows 3000 change to 2nd gear and speedometer only showing 20km. I never use to run on 60km on 5th gear. The car will just fart... Now, i m doing 60km on 5th gear. ohhh...i need the power back...
Do you think it could be the valve pumps or the fuel injector that is clogged up?

-Project $n0w WhItE-

#4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:48 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Maybe you've stirred up some "settled" rubbish within the tank which has now blocked your fuel filter. If it won't rev without being in gear it sounds like a fuel supply issue. What is the idle like, rough or smooth?
#5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 03:12 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Its rough. I had the same thoughts that something might have clogged it up. I m trying to drive it around so that the stuff gets away but ain't working. Still giving me the same under power performance.... Very sad...What's your recommendation mate?

-Project $n0w WhItE-

#6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 05:34 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
I guess you'd need to start at the point closest to the fuel tank, so fuel filter or fuel pump, then maybe blocked injectors. That is all assuming that its a fuel issue. It just dawned on me that you are in Perth, is this car from a country area? If so it may have a build up of water from condensation in Petrol Station fuel tanks. I remember renting a fairly low milage car from Perth that drove just fine, but started dropping performance dramatically after 250 - 300km to the point where it was undrivable, and wouldn't start when we finally turned it off. An old trick for dealing with water contaminated petrol is to add a bottle of metho to the petrol tank and see if that helps at all.

The problem could come back to some sort of ignition or engine management issue, are there any warning lights appearing on the dash.

I had very flat performance in my car (740iL 2000) when I first purchase it, the mechanic said blocked cats, the werkz family suggested Air Flow Sensor. I cleaned up the AFS and it improved instantly. I have just fitted a new repalcement and its such a different car to drive, acceleration, gear changes and response is totally changed.

Good luck with it all. Let us know what you come up with. There are other werkz members that have infinitely more experience than I do, so follow their suggestions before you embrace mine.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 07:07 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Cheers buddy!

Thanks for the detailed analysis. I don't think the petrol is contaminated with water because the car was flying when i fuel it up couple of days before my idiotic bro poured the fuel injection & carby cleaner into the fuel tank. I will look into the suggested areas. If the problem lies at the fuel tank due to the clogged dirt, any suggestion to clean the area without jacking up the car? Any suggestions which product to use to clean the Fuel filter?

As far i know, the previous owner took this car as weekend drive before she bought VW Polo GTi and she stays close to city.

Once again brettski, heaps of thanks mate!

-Project $n0w WhItE-

#8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 07:33 AM
42, The meaning of life

A couple of sites that I have useful as references, and for after market add ons.
RealOEM.com * Online BMW Parts Catalog
Buy Car Parts - Aftermarket Auto Parts - Volvo Parts, VW Parts, Audi Parts, BMW Parts, Mercedes Parts, Porsche Parts
Wheel / tire size calculator / comparer - WHEELSMASTER
Discount Tire, Custom Wheels, Truck & Car Rims | Discount Tire
Zionsville Autosport
Dinan BMW | BMW Performance
It might be easier to just check the fuel rail to see if you are getting fuel supplied at a good pressure, a mechanic should be able to do this fairly easily for you.
#9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 05:15 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Heaps of thanks mate!

-Project $n0w WhItE-

#10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 AM
42, The meaning of life

Have there been any further develoments with this problem?
#11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 02:21 AM
n00b

juzer is on a distinguished road
try adding gas,
maybe your gas was low and now you are reving on carburator cleaner in fuel injected car
#12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 06:07 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski View Post
Have there been any further develoments with this problem?
Sorry guys for the late development. Was away for business trip to a country where there is no internet access!!! Geezzzz!!!!

Anyway brettski,

You were right mate. There were dirt stuck in the fuel pump that was preventing the fuel to flow freely. Cleaned the fuel pump and fuel filter and the car is back to its old days... Flyiiing!!! Yeeehaaaa!!! Thanks mate for heads on advice...Appreciate the "guru"'s knowledge...Heaps thanks mate!

-Project $n0w WhItE-

#13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:06 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Glad you got it sorted!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)