BMW Werkz banner

How hard to replace 1986 325es transmission?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Stella 
#1 ·
since about last winter, the automatic transmission of my 86 325es has started slipping. if anyone remembers a few of my other posts about bad gas mileage and the feeling of the car like its driving into the wind for about 10 minutes after sitting overnight. although it does not slip quite as bad now that the weather is warm. it is still shifting fairly hard, and like i said, slips considerably before it warms up. i would hate to think what it is going to be like next winter.

I have put a new transmission in a manual 95 jeep cherokee i used to have. i just wondered how much work the bimmer would take. the motor still runs great as ever. thanks!

#4 ·
cool, cause i think im going to be replacing it. not too familiar with how the auto tranny works. basically, the clutches are built right inside the transmission itself correct? then it will just be a matter of unbolting the old one, yanking it out, then bolting in the new one (or slightly used, new one). as far as years, my car is an 86 325es. what models/ transmissions would I be able to swap with?

#7 ·
Did you find 2nd hand 325es transmissions?

I'm in the same boat you were last year (transmission worn beyond repair) and am wondering if you had any approaches from California with a 2nd hand transmission for the 325es to drop in. If you have any potentials please let me know. Thnx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.