BMW Werkz banner

How Hard Is It To Change The Timing Belt

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  draculia 
#1 ·
how hard is it to replace a timing belt on an 86 325es ? i help my budy chnage his on a 92 prelude so if you could let me know if i should or if i should take it in thanks guys

#4 ·
It can be accomplished, but I've seen literature on the subject and it can be frustrating. Depends how comfy you are working on the car. For me, it was a little much to take on as a first project, because you pretty much have to dismantle everything North of the engine block (in other words, the fan, distributor, radiator, hoses, etc) to have a decent enough working space to get at the belts. When timing the engine, you also must be very careful, because if a mistake is made, you pretty much destroy the valves with the pistons.

A good shop can do the job, all belts included, for under $400 (Canadian), so I went that route. Car runs much better (my belt was stretched, retarding the timing so much as to suck life out of my full-throttle onslaughts), and think about it, it beats the bill for a replacement engine. :D

#5 ·
Just finished changing mine out.H2O pump as well.
Then , aux. fan switch,thermostat,fan clutch,radiator(got it tested at a
radiator shop , leaking bad) ,flush out, new antifreeze.

While your in there you might as well do every thing you can.

I also removed the hood,for the job.

Get a good manual and read and re read the timing belt
info. You can do it .but be extra careful !!!!
The tensioner has to be set just right (replace that too)

You jump one tooth while the engine is running and ... :blowup engine
destroyed.....

Had the same problem with WX too ( no garage)

Hang in there. Let us know how the project goes.

Laters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.