how about this the turbontor !!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 11:45 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
j123crx is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
how about this the turbontor !!!

:

http://www.turbonator.com/index.html?id=adWordsBMW

comments...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
Well I am a little embarrased to admit that I did throw down the $50 for the turbonator (if you buy two the second one is half off, I think) I read alot about them and the only people who had anything good to say about them were the the people who were trying to sell them....so take that how you will.

I've had it on (or in depending on how you look at it...) for about 4 months now. And the first thing I noticed was a little "whistle" that increases with engine speed. I imagine its the air "hitting" the fins of the turbonator. Turbonator brags that this will help it sound like you have a turbo. But I think the whistle is so subtle that only the owner of the car will be able to hear it. I've gotten used to the noise now and I don't even notice it. The only REAL turbo's I've driven have been big ole F250's--and the turbonator sounds nothing like the REAL thing, obviously. So if you want a fake sounding sublte turbo sound then go for it...

They promise a increase of HP....as much as 35hp, but I haven't noticed much more power at all.... there might be a few more horses but nothing I can really notice in day to day driving...

fuel economy is also promised -- I believe they say as much as 30%.....this is where alot of the controversy is....people believe that having the air "hit" the tubonator will slow the air down and lower air flow--therefore resulting in less HP and less MPG.......but as far as I've been able to test BEFORE I put the Turbonator in there I was getting 19.7 mpg and AFTER the turbonator I was getting 20.9 --- a little increase in gas mileage (on another note after putting on Ireland engineering 8 mm plug wires I've brought the gas mileage up to around 22.7...wahooo...I'll beat these gas prices yet...) So there you go...

One of my beefs is they say they'll give you the right turbonator for your car so I order two (one for my '89 325i and one for my bro's subaru) and the one they gave me for my e30 ONLY fit the subaru and the one that was suposed to fit the subaru ONLY fit my BMW---my stock intake is smaller then my bro's 4 bangers intake....hmmmm---but obviously they don't have any idea what turbonator goes with what cars, but they give all 6 cyl the same sized turboantor an they give all the 4 cyl the same sized one etc etc.

That's all for now...if you have any questions let me know and I'll answer more specifically ...

hope that helped...
#3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 03:26 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
The Turbonator owns u....

at least someone tried it though...call em back and say u want a dam refund...

lol, sorry this thread makes me laugh...

#4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 03:59 PM

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
yea they offer a full refund if you don't like it...but I figured I'm "going down with the ship"---

I should say another brother of mine just went and bent a peice of sheet metal and made his own Turbonator--he says he gets better MPG...but who really knows....

I'll admit it wasn't all a waste --I am getting 1 MPG better----so in a few years maybe it will have paid for itself...
#5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Neutral Member

j123crx is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
thanks for the feedback, i never heard a review on one from an unbiased party, i guess "up to 30" means 1 to them.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 10:06 PM
2nd Gear Member

BMW Lover is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMW Lover
lol the name even sounds stupid...turbonator awayyyyy..!!! lol haha sry thats my2cents

^^I want this where I live.

"Drag racing a BMW is like going fishing with a hooker, it's fun but it's not what you got her for..." - M3DUDE

Manual - The transmission hated by moms/wives/girlfriends everywhere...

Member of the "I Owned my Bimmer when I was 17" Club
Member of the "10 Year Old" Club
Member of the "3 Pedal" Club
Member of the "3 Light" Club
#7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 10:50 PM
n00b

filter27e is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah it's the latest marketing gimmick for cars. Basically they evaluate the odds of them getting sued and if they're low enough, they just sell anything. The only thing this thing could possibly do is constrict your air flow a little.

1984 318i 5-spd that's not currently registered... project car.

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan

1996 Nissan Maxima is the girlfriend's car that was glad to meet somebody who knew what "routine maintenance" was.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 01:08 AM
3rd Gear Member

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally Posted by filter27e
Yeah it's the latest marketing gimmick for cars. Basically they evaluate the odds of them getting sued and if they're low enough, they just sell anything. The only thing this thing could possibly do is constrict your air flow a little.
hahaha
these things are funny... i thought there was a motor on the turbonator?? or is it just a fan that the air spins... cause if the air has to turn the fan then it is just restricting airflow..

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
#9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 11:47 AM

ha ha, well it's even better then a fan that the air has to spin.....the "turbine" doesn't spin at all--in fact the gimmick is that the turbine doesn't move so that causes the air to move in a "vortex" thus mixing with the gas better and is also more able to spin around the corners of your engine with greater ease.........

Can't blame them though---I bet these things only cost $1-2 to make and they sell them for $70---that's some good money.....well good money if you can sleep at night...
#10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 01:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
ohh man thats even worse... hahahahha yeah i bet they see awsome profits... its really quite sad how low some people are stuping

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
#11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 01:31 PM
n00b

Charleston Chu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Charleston Chu
I agree... I have read car forums all over the internet about guys who are asking if it really works.. and really, it doesn't... Spiralling air only creates more of a vacuum pulling more air into the middle of the spiral... but once it reaches the throttle body, it breaks up and makes no difference whether it was there or not... they call it a turbo system but a turbo and supercharger only work because of their ability to constatly be pushing air into the engine... not what the turbonator claims to do. If you are looking ot save some fuel... try acetone...

Preston
#12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 03:22 PM
n00b

SNapper is an unknown quantity at this point
as dumb as it sounds the turbonator does work and i've seen it help cars get better mpg. and i've yet to hear someone that actually bought it prove that it didn't help their milage.
#13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

DJProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma
yea they offer a full refund if you don't like it...but I figured I'm "going down with the ship"---

I should say another brother of mine just went and bent a peice of sheet metal and made his own Turbonator--he says he gets better MPG...but who really knows....

I'll admit it wasn't all a waste --I am getting 1 MPG better----so in a few years maybe it will have paid for itself...
there's your person who bought it.....and proof it's junk......

this sheit is banannas...... :lol:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp banannas.BMP (19.4 KB, 133 views)

sexually assault a member of the VW community? if you belong to dubdojo or swov.org they will gladly circle their wagons and support you.
#14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 04:51 PM
n00b

Charleston Chu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Charleston Chu
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNapper
as dumb as it sounds the turbonator does work and i've seen it help cars get better mpg. and i've yet to hear someone that actually bought it prove that it didn't help their milage.
Really? I only ever hear about people that haven't had it work... But i guess you never know... maybe some vehicles actually will have some increase in MPG or HP
#15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 06:16 PM
n00b

TCossuto is on a distinguished road
Does anyone actualy have any pictures of this thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)