BMW Werkz banner

HOT START PROBLEM

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  XtremeDream 
#1 ·
89 325 I/C . RUNS LIKE A SWISS OR RATHER GERMAN WATCH.EXCEPT WHEN SHUT DOWN AND RESTARTING WHEN HOT. IF THE CAR SITS FOR AN HOUR ITS FINE , IF I TRY AND RESTART WITHIN 15-20 MIN AFTER HOT SOAKING.IT SEEMS LIKE THE FUEL RAIL HAS VAPORISED FUEL AND EXCESSIVE CRANKING IS REQUIRED TO PURGE THE VAPORS THROUGH THE INJECTORS ANY ONE HAVE ANY HINTS ON THIS SNAG. I KNOW PISTON AIRCRAFT ENGINES HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM AS THE INJECTOR IS MOUNTED DIRECTLY INTO THE INTAKE PORT
MY IGNITION IS IN GOOD SHAPE ,PLUGS WIRES ECT.FUEL FILTERS ARE FINE
HIGH OCTANE FUEL IS ALL I USE
AT 105K MILES IM THINKING THE INJECTORS NEED CLEANING??

#3 ·
I had the EXACT same problem. Fuel pump body is about to die on you. I burned two of them but got my money back since it happend in two weeks (for both) and the BMW service replaced with a brand new one.

Mine stalled at me one night and I spend 4 hours taking the whole car appart just to find out what is wrong with it. Took the plugs out to see if it was fluded, took the rear seat to check the pump, checked the whoel fuse box (those fuses burn when stuff like that happens).

I would say give your pump a try since you are not getting any fuel to your engine. I thought it was the injectors too but they were fine sine after replacing I still had the same problem.

PS: Do not buy rebuild fuel pumps. They cost a lot less for a reason.

#4 ·
yeah i'd say the same thing, get it prof. done...my car has an m42 in it and the clock reads 170k...shuld i get that done also u guys?

#5 ·
88 325i. This car starts fine when it's cold, and runs fine. But if it gets hot and I let it be for a litle while and then try starting it, nothing happens. It's like the starter don't run at all. When the key is turned for ignition, the car just makes this low humming noise.

Please help me, I don't know what's wrong with it.

#6 ·
If it doesn't make the normal "trying to crank it over" noise when you turn the ignition than your starter is probably fried. Why only when your car is hot??? Well, if you read above i had a problem like that but my ignition worked when I turn the key over. The engine just wouldn't get any fuel and it wouldn't crank over.

In your case I think that the heat in the engine bay messes with your starter and messes it up. Try hitting the starter with a donger (rubber hammer) with a friend and try turning the car on while you are hitting it. If it starts your starter is screwed up, if not it might still be screwed up. Go give it someone to check if the starter is fried.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.