HOT START PROBLEM - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:18 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DANM is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
89 325 I/C . RUNS LIKE A SWISS OR RATHER GERMAN WATCH.EXCEPT WHEN SHUT DOWN AND RESTARTING WHEN HOT. IF THE CAR SITS FOR AN HOUR ITS FINE , IF I TRY AND RESTART WITHIN 15-20 MIN AFTER HOT SOAKING.IT SEEMS LIKE THE FUEL RAIL HAS VAPORISED FUEL AND EXCESSIVE CRANKING IS REQUIRED TO PURGE THE VAPORS THROUGH THE INJECTORS ANY ONE HAVE ANY HINTS ON THIS SNAG. I KNOW PISTON AIRCRAFT ENGINES HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM AS THE INJECTOR IS MOUNTED DIRECTLY INTO THE INTAKE PORT
MY IGNITION IS IN GOOD SHAPE ,PLUGS WIRES ECT.FUEL FILTERS ARE FINE
HIGH OCTANE FUEL IS ALL I USE
AT 105K MILES IM THINKING THE INJECTORS NEED CLEANING??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:20 AM
2nd Gear Member

Old_School_Bimmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Old_School_Bimmer
ya go for that also i would recamend getting them done professionally the cleaners just didnt cut it for mine but give it a try
#3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Neutral Member

XtremeDream is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the EXACT same problem. Fuel pump body is about to die on you. I burned two of them but got my money back since it happend in two weeks (for both) and the BMW service replaced with a brand new one.

Mine stalled at me one night and I spend 4 hours taking the whole car appart just to find out what is wrong with it. Took the plugs out to see if it was fluded, took the rear seat to check the pump, checked the whoel fuse box (those fuses burn when stuff like that happens).

I would say give your pump a try since you are not getting any fuel to your engine. I thought it was the injectors too but they were fine sine after replacing I still had the same problem.

PS: Do not buy rebuild fuel pumps. They cost a lot less for a reason.

Thinkin' that you are fast doesn't make you fast.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear Member

BMW Lover is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMW Lover
yeah i'd say the same thing, get it prof. done...my car has an m42 in it and the clock reads 170k...shuld i get that done also u guys?

^^I want this where I live.

"Drag racing a BMW is like going fishing with a hooker, it's fun but it's not what you got her for..." - M3DUDE

Manual - The transmission hated by moms/wives/girlfriends everywhere...

Member of the "I Owned my Bimmer when I was 17" Club
Member of the "10 Year Old" Club
Member of the "3 Pedal" Club
Member of the "3 Light" Club
#5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 09:59 AM
n00b

Oggis is an unknown quantity at this point
88 325i. This car starts fine when it's cold, and runs fine. But if it gets hot and I let it be for a litle while and then try starting it, nothing happens. It's like the starter don't run at all. When the key is turned for ignition, the car just makes this low humming noise.

Please help me, I don't know what's wrong with it.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 12:49 PM
Neutral Member

XtremeDream is an unknown quantity at this point
If it doesn't make the normal "trying to crank it over" noise when you turn the ignition than your starter is probably fried. Why only when your car is hot??? Well, if you read above i had a problem like that but my ignition worked when I turn the key over. The engine just wouldn't get any fuel and it wouldn't crank over.

In your case I think that the heat in the engine bay messes with your starter and messes it up. Try hitting the starter with a donger (rubber hammer) with a friend and try turning the car on while you are hitting it. If it starts your starter is screwed up, if not it might still be screwed up. Go give it someone to check if the starter is fried.

Thinkin' that you are fast doesn't make you fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)