Hmmm... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
llll1l1ll is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to llll1l1ll
(Thread Starter)
Hmmm...

Well, I think its the alternator, but let me give you guys the low-down...

All day today, a couple of the warning lights have been dimly lit on the dash. Like, when I take the parking brake off one of them is barely lit; like, really hard to see lit. Anyway, after washing my car, the ABS light was on the most--not fully on, but dimly on. As I'm driving down the road, my radio just turns off (aftermarket radio) and I was like, "?" So, it turns on for a quick second, then fades back out. At this point, I brake hard to see if the ABS kicks in, which it does (relief!). However, I go to roll up the windows after parking and they go up reeeal slow. I shut the car off, and turn the key back to on and the radio turns back on, but I start cranking it and it just chugs. It still starts, but the car struggled. The RPM gauge also just flickered when it was cranking. It runs just fine, but struggles when starting. I don't see how the alternator could just die like that, because I haven't left the lights on or anything. It just died! Help irl

I also went back to start it back up, and it started up just fine with the same symptoms, though. I really do hope its not the alternator.

Three rocker arms later and I still haven't learned my lesson!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 07:39 AM
1st Gear Member

DJProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point
pull the voltage regulator at the back of the alternator and have a look. those brushes wear down from time to time and cause the alternator not to fully charge like it should.

sexually assault a member of the VW community? if you belong to dubdojo or swov.org they will gladly circle their wagons and support you.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

llll1l1ll is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to llll1l1ll
(Thread Starter)
I mean, I pulled the voltage regulator and it looked ...normal? Nothing was worn down, I couldn't get a look at any of the brushes though... I checked the price of the alternator and voltage regulator, and its just cheaper for me to get a new alternator.

Three rocker arms later and I still haven't learned my lesson!
#4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

there should be a white plastic looking piece at the back of your alternator with two phillips screws on it, that's your brushes. it sounds like your brushes are worn and not making 100% contact. no need to replace an alternator for a set of 20 dollar brushes......

sexually assault a member of the VW community? if you belong to dubdojo or swov.org they will gladly circle their wagons and support you.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
$20 brushes? Are you for real? Something very similar to this happened to me....the car would run fine, a couple dimly lit lights on the dash, sometimes wouldn't start at all (so I would leave the car running when I was only going to be a minute) I had my uncle pull off the alternator (he's an old tractor mechaninc...I was sweating bullets to see him working on my BMW...but how hard is it to pull out an alternator? I did it on my old volkswagon...) Anyways the brushings were a little worn--but he thought they were good enough...could have been the regulator...or rectifier (spell check)-- since we didn't want to replace one thing and then have to replace another we just decided to replace the whole alternator (which would come with a new regulator and rectifier) We were able to find a rebuilt bosch with a 3 year warranty and a 10% mechanic discount for only $150 total---they are usually in the $300 range I believe---but all in all that fixed the problem right off...and $150 isn't too bad a price...

Oh I also want to add that this problem didn't slowly grow untill it got to the point I described above---I was actually racing a couple of punk highschool kids and after I won (I mean totally killed) I looked down and saw the ABS and park break dimly lit. So I thought for sure I broke something when I was "laying it down"---but every BMW shop and mechaninc I talked to said that any alternator problem is wear and tear and accellerating fast would NOT cause that...just coincidence...

hope that helps...

Last edited by yammahamma; 10-01-2005 at 12:08 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 03:09 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJProfessor
there should be a white plastic looking piece at the back of your alternator with two phillips screws on it, that's your brushes. it sounds like your brushes are worn and not making 100% contact. no need to replace an alternator for a set of 20 dollar brushes......
The BOSCH voltage regulator with brushes is about $35-$70 depending on where you get it from. Still less than a whole new alt. though.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Neutral Member

gsrboy171 is an unknown quantity at this point
the alternator is not hard to take out. you have to go under the car to remove the lower bolt.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>NYC WHAT'S UP!!!</span>

Last edited by gsrboy171; 10-01-2005 at 06:45 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 08:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll post pics of the brushes.....and yeah my price maybe a bit off, i was working for the dealer at the time i bought them, but cheaper than a new alternator no doubt.

#9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 01:27 PM
n00b

träumer is an unknown quantity at this point
same thing is happening to me

mycar:87 eta my symptoms: lights flare a tad on acceleration, not noticeable unless you look, abs light on cluster panel dimly lit, thats it. i think my alternator has cancer and is dying a slow death! i wonder if i check the brushes if that will fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)