Hi, Newbee Here In Need Of Help W/ Cluster - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BMW-Attitude is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to BMW-Attitude Send a message via Yahoo to BMW-Attitude
Hi all, I am new to the board. I just got a '88 325i Vert. First bmw for me. I got it cheap and have a little work to do. I was a past chevy mechanic (sorry) and have many GMC's. I am looking for a good chat/help board, I hope this is it. I am trying to remove the gauge cluster. Looks like I need to get the steering wheel off to lower the column. I got the nut off the steering wheel, how do you get the wheel off?? And the bezel under the cluster to remove the cluster? Thanks for any help, I have fallen for this hunk of BMW metal. Thanks, Later>>>>>>
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2005, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by BMW-Attitude@Jan 25 2005, 07:23 PM
Hi all, I am new to the board. I just got a '88 325i Vert. First bmw for me. I got it cheap and have a little work to do. I was a past chevy mechanic (sorry) and have many GMC's. I am looking for a good chat/help board, I hope this is it. I am trying to remove the gauge cluster. Looks like I need to get the steering wheel off to lower the column. I got the nut off the steering wheel, how do you get the wheel off?? And the bezel under the cluster to remove the cluster? Thanks for any help, I have fallen for this hunk of BMW metal. Thanks, Later>>>>>>
[snapback]279269[/snapback]
well a steering wheel puller would work dandy for the job... and as far as pulling the guage cluster i dont believe you have to remove the steering wheel, but mayeb you do on older cars. i have a 91, but if you can slide the cluster out of its mount, once you take of the trim and unscrew all the screws. you can slide it out at an angle avoiding the steering wheel removal and saving you some work.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Abdul is an unknown quantity at this point
I had my gage cluster out this summer (also an 88 vert 325) and no steering wheel removal was required. You just gotta get all the trim panels out of the way. It can be done.

Good luck
Abdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BMW-Attitude is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to BMW-Attitude Send a message via Yahoo to BMW-Attitude
Thanks for the help. I figured you did not need to pull the steering wheel. As far as a puller on the steering wheel, I have one but it has no threaded holes in the wheel to pull from (like GM does which I am fimiliar with). Also the wheel is loose on the shaft after I removed the nut, It feels like it is still held by a snap ring or something when you try and pull on it. Oh well I'll try to get the cluster out without removing it, I'm just having a hard time figuring how to get the piece under the cluster off to gain access. Thanks Again Later>>>>>>
Old 01-28-2005, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by BMW-Attitude@Jan 28 2005, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the help. I figured you did not need to pull the steering wheel. As far as a puller on the steering wheel, I have one but it has no threaded holes in the wheel to pull from (like GM does which I am fimiliar with). Also the wheel is loose on the shaft after I removed the nut, It feels like it is still held by a snap ring or something when you try and pull on it. Oh well I'll try to get the cluster out without removing it, I'm just having a hard time figuring how to get the piece under the cluster off to gain access. Thanks Again Later>>>>>>
[snapback]280988[/snapback]

look under the dash romove the panel that covers all the wires and there should be 2 or 3 nuts that you can finger off under there.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
e30fanm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e30fanm3 Send a message via Yahoo to e30fanm3
there are 2 speed nuts on the back of the flat trim piece below the cluster, you have to take down the under dash panel and just feel for them, it is pretty obvious how it comes off after that , and no you dont have to take the steering wheel off, but it does make it easier, as long as you mark where it is on the steering column before you remove it, and unless your steering lock is on it should just slide off, you may have to give it a little convincing
e30fanm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)