Help- Trunk Locked Shut And Won't Open - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 10:26 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
adamgui is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I've got an '87 325 4-door, which has always had problems with its locking system. I used to be able to lock and unlock the car from the trunk. Then, one day I was at the mall with some friends, went to my car... and it wouldn't unlock. Tried wiggling the key a bit, nothing. We knew the driver and passenger door locks didn't work, but a friend of mine insisted on trying the key in those locks. Nothing, with the driver door. Finally, after about 15 minutes of wiggling the key in the passenger door, he got the doors unlocked.

The trunk, however, remained locked. At the suggestion of my mechanic I bought a new key (the old one was VERY worn out) from BMW. This key didn't move even one bit in any of the locks! It does fit the ignition fine. I took out the backseat and there's a big metal plate inside so I can't get into the trunk... and to make matters worse my right taillights are out now and I'm worried about getting stopped! So I took the car today to my mechanic and he tried- and couldn't get the trunk open.

I'm wondering if maybe the drivers door cylinder were replaced, unlocking the car from there would unlock the trunk? I don't really know. Unfortunately I'm a student and don't have a lot of money to throw in getting this that and the other done in hopes of making it work... so any suggestions to point me in the right direction would be fantastic!

Thanks.

-Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 10:45 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
So the central locking isn't working? My 89, if you unlock the driver door or trunk, all locks are unlocked. Maybe a fuse replaced gets central locking back and then you can unlock it

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 12:09 AM
n00b

adamgui is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by witeshark@Jun 8 2005, 08:45 PM
So the central locking isn't working? My 89, if you unlock the driver door or trunk, all locks are unlocked. Maybe a fuse replaced gets central locking back and then you can unlock it
[snapback]351899[/snapback]
Central locking was working, it just seems to be the lock (key won't turn at all)... from what my friend said, unlocking the passenger door only unlocked that, and the others had to be unlocked from the inside of the car (I don't even remember, I was too stressed out at the time). That would make sense, since that's how it works on other cars I've driven. I checked a service manual here, and apparently the fuse for the central locking is the same as for the interior lights... and they're working. Never the simple stuff is it. heh

-Adam
#4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 06:19 AM
2nd Gear Member

bad man working is an unknown quantity at this point
Spray WD40 or some other kink of lube into the lock where you put the key in work in the key in and out then try to turn it, it will free off eventually careful not to snap the key
#5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

fporro is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to fporro Send a message via Yahoo to fporro
Quote:
Originally posted by bad man working@Jun 10 2005, 04:19 AM
Spray WD40 or some other kink of lube into the lock where you put the key in work in the key in and out then try to turn it, it will free off eventually careful not to snap the key
[snapback]352300[/snapback]

and clean the connector under rubber boot betwen driver door and A pilar

cheers,
Frank
e30 parts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)