BMW Werkz banner

HELP!! Problem with my E30 Air Conditioning

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  kirbanana 
#1 ·
Hi folks. I recently worked on my air-conditioning since it's getting pretty hot already. I converted my system to accept Freeze 12 and went on with the system refill. I did all the necessary process (sealant, oil, then freon) but the clutch of the compressor doesn't spin at all. I hate to think that it's the entire compressor not working since it was fairly new when I purchased the car (the previous owner showed me a receipt for the new compressor).

Any help is appreciated. Could it be a power source (ground) problem on the compressor itself? I don't hear that "click" inside the car when the air conditioning is on (slight kick and the compressor kicks in). Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
First of all, check all fuses, even the ones that don't list the A/C. Then check the relay.
Next pull the pressure switch on the receiver/drier located behind the passenger side headlamps under the hood. Check for voltage there.
If there is none, go over the relay and fuses, also check the switch.
If there is voltage, use a jumper and bridge the two terminals briefly, the A/C compressor should click, and the fan should kick on. If it doesn't, double check the relay and fuses if they are good, check for continuity through the pressure switch, if there is none, recheck your A/C charge. If the charge is good the Pressure switch is bad. If there is continuity, pull the wires going to the compressor and check for voltage, if there is, check the compressor ground, if it's good, the compressor clutch is no good. Double check by sending a 12v power source through the primary wire and ground the other (if it's a two wire compressor) into the compressor. and see if the clutch engages.

Good luck.
:thumbs

#3 ·
hey...thanks dude!!...sounds like i'm gonna be looking into these one evening after work...the last thing i want is to get me a new clutch or a new compressor (which is not cheap). by the way, is the compressor/clutch assembly the same as the ones on E30 325s? i'll check it all out and post the results here. thanks again!!

#4 ·
well, i tried a couple of things...i checked all the fuses and nothing is blown...i checkedthe relays and switched them around (of the same kinds only) and it all seemed to work...i don't have a voltmeter at the moment so i haven't checked the continuity and flow of power but i will be doing that tomorrow...any further assistance will be appreciated....thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.