HELP! Dead BMW is haunted me, CarFAX request, & What-Should-I-Dos - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 03:39 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
UmmYeahOk is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
HELP! Dead BMW is haunted me, CarFAX request, & What-Should-I-Dos

Ok, heres the story. I know I'm a new member, and this is my first post but I am despretely seeking any help. (Please forgive me for the super long post) I dont remember if I was 14 or 15, but back in 97-98 my father (who owned a founded a company) purchased a red 1988 325i convertible. It was registered to that company, used as a work vehicle for only a couple of months before given to me. This was the car I "sorta" learned how to drive in. I drove with it when I was 15, and 16.

In the winter of 1998 this vehicle was involved in a head-on collision with an oncoming vehicle. It was a pretty bad accident. The other vehicles chevy emblem wound up in my back seat, even though I was hit in the front! This car saved my life simply due to its design. I did not have a single scratch on me.

The vehicle was totaled, however, never reported to the insurance company. The vehicle was sold to a man interested in the engine. His intent was to restore an 1989 coupe. I loved that car, it took me years to recover from my lost love and finally love my replacement vehicle.

EIGHT years later my wounds were opened back up when I was FWDed a fax. Apparently my old baby beemer was alive! It had been sitting at a service/repair shop for almost TWO years!!! The service shop just wants to get rid of it... ...no storage cost. Apparently it was dropped off by a man who told them to sell it for $500 because it had a bad motor. Since he left no contact info, the shop was unable to sell it, even though there were many interested buyers.

One of those interested buyers just happened to be friends with the shop owner. He went through a lot of work to find us. He found out who it was registered to, and if we did not respond, he was going to drive all the way up here, to find the company, and speak with someone in person.

Thankfully I called. You see, my fathers business was ran out of his home, and the people who took over the business, also run it out of their home. He would have gone to my mothers house, as thats the last address of registration. My father past away last year, which is why someone else is running the business... ...and for him to speak to my mother, the widow, would not be good.

Talking with him, he claims that someone had already restored the vehicle! I simply could not understand why someone would restore a classic BMW, throw a bad motor in it, then ditch it like that used: I was relieved to know that it was infact in good shape. I was afraid that it was parted out and crushed!!! : Apparently the radio is gone (which is bizarre, because of the security code and all.) and it was stored with the windows down!!! :

The man is interested in buying it and restoring it to probally better shape than what it was then when we bought it. Apparently he and his buddies are big BMW fans, and they may even be members of this forum I told him that I would try my best to dig up what I could on it, but also told him, that even though my father kept excellent records, and had a specific folder for the BMW, my mother may have thrown it out going through all his things, since it was a vehicle we have not had in 8 years. A CARFAX would be much appreciative. PLEASE PLEASE, If anyone could run one for me, I would thank you forever.

I cant imagine my father having the title of this car, as he sold it... ...but since we are the last known owners of the registered car, does that mean the car is stil, ours? The vehicle still has the same plates, and its last registration was to us in 1998 (obviously expired)

Do we own the car? Do we have the right to say someone else can have it? Do we have the right to keep it? Theres currently no mechanics lean on it, or anything. The shop owner just wants it gone, and obviously wants to help his friend get it. What exactly am I suppost to do to have the ability to do everything that Ive asked?

Ok, now another big issue. I was very greatful to know that this car was indeed not going to be 100% parts car, that this was going to be restored. That was one of the hardest things for me to deal with when I was 16, losing my baby, and understanding that it was going to become a parts car. I feel better now knowing that it would have a good home, and loved maybe even more than when I had it...

...but the issue is, if it becomes my car again, and I had the right to keep it, or give it away... ...should I keep it? I already have a VERY dependable driver. Its given me 8 years of great service, and also is a red convertible. I loved Baby Beemer very much. I told everyone in highschool that I would keep him forever... ...no matter what happened. But I was a fool!!!

Both me and the buyer, would turn it into a "project car." And hes obviously known about the car and had interest in it, for much much longer than I even owned it. What should I do?

Pic of it back when it was 10 years old, 4 months before its demise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 04:16 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Do a title search. That should let you know in whose name the title remains.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 04:41 PM
n00b

UmmYeahOk is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
How do I do that? The interested buyer ran a TXDoT Vehicle Inquiry that said that the title was issued to us on 06/07/1997. Is this not a Title search? Or is this something different?

For him to have gotten this, I assume that means that no other titled was issued. Ive heard of vehicles losing titles. I assume that when you sell a vehicle, you hand them the title, and they harass DoT to issue a new one, right? Wouldnt that be in their records? Would someone buy a parts car, and not register it as being theirs?

I dont even know if the man that dropped it off there was the same guy we sold it to. Being 8 years, he could have sold it to someone else who did attempt to restore it.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 04:51 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
call up TXdot and make sure that you're the last person listed, then buy a new copy of the title from them.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)