Help!!! clutch pedal vibration?? suggestions? guys... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 01:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Help!!! clutch pedal vibration?? suggestions? guys...

Any Help or suggestions please
(StarMavin?)
Kraut?
Jnky?
Madoo?

I'm concerned.
I'm getting a bit of vibration in my clutch pedal.
BMWCCA autocross tommorow, San Diego, Qualcom, hope it lasts. LOL
Everything else is good to go.
I'll try and work on it some tonight, but not enough time or money for new clutch if needed. (Just got new Hawk HPS pads $$ )

It happens:
only when moving
with pedal about 1/4 of the way depressed
not when fully engaged or disengaged
You cant really feel it when cold just after its warmed up.
I did a few hard standing starts last night and it got a bit worse.
Couldnt feel it this morning when cold.
Its got a bit worse a few weeks ago but hasnt really changed since.
If I'm driving and I rest my foot on the clutch pedal lightly before I'm going to downshift or brake I feel it.
Thats when I first noticed it.

I would think its some kind of hydralic feedback from the clutch since I only feel it when slightly depreesed wgich is when the pedal lever engages the clutch cyinder. but seems like its only at the pedal not at the clutch itself. Not sure.

I can still go wide open through all the gears no problem.

ie the clutch/tranny doesnt seem to chatter rattle or shake just the pedal in mid to high range when not quite fully disengaged.
the clutch was in good like new condition when last checked a few months ago when new motor was put in. Maybe they forgot to torque soomething down correctly?

Seems to be when decelerating or at constant speed not accelerating too, I suppose that good. I'll test this out some more at lunch today.

I do get clutch/disc chatter/rattle at low rpms ie 2nd gear 1000 rpm
I normally never run at that low rpms
but the pedal vibration doesnt occure at the same time as that rattle.
I think thats the pressure plate/fly wheel,uneven surface or balance or something, I figured I'll fix that when I need a new clutch. This may or may not be related. Not sure. Thats not an issue during "spirited" driving.
This vibration may not be either, I hope.

I'll check under the dash and the tranny tonight. Review Bently's agin. Mayby a loose clutch cylinder, pedal lever, nuts bolts or slave cylinder or something?
I tried moving the pedal and clutch cylinder around by hand last night and everything seemed pretty snug.

Maybe it will blow apart tomorow : and I'll have to fix it anyway LOL
then get a Saches sports clutch maybe.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers,
Richard Fitz
'87 325is Delphin Metalic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 01:15 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Is it a pulse or like a buzz? From what you are saying it could be a bad throw out bearing. The clutch chatter is most likely from hot spots.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
you mean chatter on engagement? thats usually just a tired clutch

i get it too but i have a brand new clutch in and its still doing it, my guess is the crappy dual mass flywheel...the springs go bad in it and it tends to become more "floppy" instead of "sprung" strictly my observation based on no facts

when i had my tranny out and the clutch off i tested the tension in my flywheel and there was almost none, it just kind flopped back and fourth, but im going to be changing flywheels in a few months anyway so i just deal with it for now

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the tips,

Its a pulse.
not chatter on engagement, well actually I get that too that at real low rpms but not concerned with that yet.

It all held together for the event. I had a blast, way beter than SCCA Solo II events.
I worked it pretty hard, 7 practice runs, 3 timed runs.

I think I'll just live with it for now, change the throw out bearing etc when I have to do the clutch. Maybe balance the flywheel? I need to re-read the Benltly on all this.
From what Ive seen the Sachs sport clutch looks best, more springs than stock.
What do you guys think/use?

Cheers,
Richard Fitz
'87 325is Delphin Metalic

#5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 01:46 PM
n00b

toy x 4 is on a distinguished road
Same Problem

2 days ago i noticed the same issue with my 2001 530i, i have a vibration in my clutch petal when it is in neutral, a whirring or scrapping sound in my clutch that changes pitch when i depress the clutch, and a slight pulsing when i let out. It also goes away as the car gets warmer and is worse when first started or cold.

Were you able to resolve your issue? Anyone else have similar issues who have reached a conclusion. I assumed this was a worn clutch or throwout bearing....
#6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 11:05 PM
n00b

turbod1power is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfitz25 View Post
Any Help or suggestions please
(StarMavin?)
Kraut?
Jnky?
Madoo?

I'm concerned.
I'm getting a bit of vibration in my clutch pedal.
BMWCCA autocross tommorow, San Diego, Qualcom, hope it lasts. LOL
Everything else is good to go.
I'll try and work on it some tonight, but not enough time or money for new clutch if needed. (Just got new Hawk HPS pads $$ )

It happens:
only when moving
with pedal about 1/4 of the way depressed
not when fully engaged or disengaged
You cant really feel it when cold just after its warmed up.
I did a few hard standing starts last night and it got a bit worse.
Couldnt feel it this morning when cold.
Its got a bit worse a few weeks ago but hasnt really changed since.
If I'm driving and I rest my foot on the clutch pedal lightly before I'm going to downshift or brake I feel it.
Thats when I first noticed it.

Maybe it will blow apart tomorow : and I'll have to fix it anyway LOL
then get a Saches sports clutch maybe.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

I have the same problem with my 328is 1996. how did you fix the problem? i need help was it the pivot pin?
#7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 08:51 AM
n00b

toy x 4 is on a distinguished road
Just to update you, i bought a whole bunch of parts just to be prepared for when i ripped into my car, and it ended up being just a worn throw out bearing. If your issue is like mine then you will find that the throwout bearing life is less than the rest of the clutch components. With this issue your not really doing any dammage to the clutch to keep driving it but the engagment is terrible and it will eventually wear on the guide tube. SO just to be safe if i was you i would order a clutch fork pivot pin, a new bearing, and a guide tube for the bearing.

Since i had bought all the new parts i ended up just putting them in because the motor and tranny were already split. The only thing i didnt replace was the pressure plate because it was in good shape. I went with factory clutch and i love the feel now. I did a CDV delete and a short throw while i was under there and i love driving the car now. See if you can use the e60 545 stick like i did. The throw is great. message me if you have any questions.

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)