BMW Werkz banner

Help Air Fuel Mixture

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  vultox 
#1 ·
hey everyone i just re did the headgasket to my 1981 320i and set the valves re aligned the distributor set my spark plugs wires cap rotar everything. drives fine but wont stay running at all i beleive this to be the air fuel mixture adjustment i need to do. but cant find the damn 3m alan key screm (brass) any idea or pics to show where it is. IM positive that there is no vaccume leaks. if anyone has any help or ideas to get this car working that would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

#4 ·
haha sounds spot on like a vacuum leak on a CIS car...but if you are absolutely positive i guess i have no choice but to take your word for it ;)

the alan key is dirt cheap, about $3 at your local hardware store lol...but im not sure that A/F is the issue, what is happening when it cuts out? just driving along and it dies? or wont stay running? hows the idle? what RPM is it idling at?

and i know you are posssssssssssitive but check the intake boots thuroughly for intake leaks...any cracks or anything...and its toast

#5 ·
i got allan keys.... but i cant fine the a/f but ya i sent you a message on hwat it does
im gonna post it here too.....

hmmm never thought of that but it doesnt look like any of them are cracked ... i found it weird how as soon as i took off the oil cap the car stalled completely.... anyways when i start it i need to put my foot on the gas for about 3 seconds before it desides to start running second. when it low idles its stalles really roughly. and the tak also likes to jump around from 1000 - 2400 or it will go below 1000 and completly stall after a few seconds... it stalls every time. i adjusted the distributor a few times to see if i could get anything even at high rev it will eventually stall after a few seconds or maybe if im lucky a min or two. and when its at low idle when i accelerate it sounds like it miss fires or sometimes just bumps itself around..... does any of this help you on figuring out whats wrong with my car.

PS. when i drive up the street the car sometimes smells like gas and a really odd burning smell.

#6 ·
odd sounds like you may have a more than one issue....im still pretty sure it sounds like a vacuum issue....are you sure you got the seals on good at the intake manifold and what not? what about the injector seals? very much so sounds like vaccum though....

if there are any vacuum leaks between the airflow meter and the engine it will not run right..period...

#7 ·
yup everything is on tight . but i will check that casing that should be sealed check it its loose or it there is any cracks. another weird fact tho... from pictures of people distributor caps. mine is completely backwars even the casing . but the funny thing is that it is in line. because before i did the headgasket it ran perfectly fine except of course for the blown headgasket

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.