help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2005, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
WardJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WardJ Send a message via MSN to WardJ Send a message via Yahoo to WardJ
help

arggg.

i'm having trouble starting my car. I had to have it jumped a week ago at work, and it was fine for the ride home. however i didn't drive the car all week because i was in new mexico.
So from tuesday morning last week until this morning, the car had not been started. i figured it would not start because the battery did not recieve enough charging on the way home that night from work, and it just sat for a few days. however i spent an hour trying to jump my car today, to no avail. for all my mechanical knowledge, i've actually never had to jump a car.
so naturally i went to my manual and it told me what to do. upon connecting everything and turning the booster car on, nothing happened. I read on a thread here that with BMW's you have to let the booster car run for a while to charge up your dead battery.
I charged it twice @ 10 minutes each time, again, to no avail. i should note that i tried the 'charging' method by applying the jumpers to the battery in the back, and not the jumper terminal in the front of the car. I did however hook the jumpers to the jumper terminal up front and try it, but to no avail. my car was just turning over, it couldn't get over the hump. i also heard this beeping when i was turning the key that sounded like it was from behind the fuel gage.
i could not remember how much fuel i had but i knew it was less than half a tank. so i drove up to the gas station (lucky for me it's on the end of my street) and filled up my 5 gallon mini tank. when i got home and started pouring it, it started coming back out!!!. now i put the nozzle into the fuel..thing. i didn't just pour it. i don't know what the hell is happening. i'm so pissed!

somebody help me pleaseeee. tell me i'm an idiot and i just connected wrong. but i know i didn't i cross referenced it with the damn manual like 30 times.
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
Muffler - Check! - Ansa free flow
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Keyless Entry + Alarm - BMW Security Systems
Power Flow Intake

THE founding member of "i don't hate on del"
WardJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2005, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via AIM to WardJ Send a message via MSN to WardJ Send a message via Yahoo to WardJ
almost burned my house down

so found out my problem. the fuel line in to my engine is cracked, and gas was spewing out into the engine every time it was under pressure. can you imagine if i had had a real spark holy sheet i would've been kissin my two beamers away. well my dads beamer and mine but you know what i mean.

that's an easy fix right? it looks like a simple four inch tube between two devices that can just be replaced.
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

Old 11-29-2005, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Just make sure you get "Fuel" Hose, otherwise you'll dry out a regular hose in a hurry.
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
UnknownSuperhero is on a distinguished road
Should be a cheap fix. They sell molded line that you could get, but that is quite a bit more than regular fuel/emissions line (somthin like $2.00 a foot.) Make sure to get about 6 inches more if you buy the bulk line, and get some good hose clamps. Also ensure the diameter is the same (bring in the old line to do a comparison)
HTH
UnknownSuperhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
update

so i fixed my problem with my car not starting. after thoroughly charging the battery and replacing the cracked fuel lines, the car started. however i noticed that some of the lights behind the panel (such as the heating options and computer) went out. i went to bavauto.com and can't find what type specfic light bulb i should find for replacement. what should i go with?

edit: upon a further review i found this:
-Bulb - Mini-bulb with Socket - dash lighting and other applications 12 volt 1.2 watt
Part # : 2721S
-Bulb - Mini-bulb - dash lighting and other applications socket sold separately.
Part # : 2721
sound right?
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

Last edited by WardJ; 11-29-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
:(

:
I get my car to work last night with a jump, and go for a ride with my dad for about 30 minutes. we get home and kept it outside for the night, and surprisingly it never went below 20 degrees here last night.
However when i came out to my car this morning it wouldn't turn over. had a little battery left and a little life, but still wouldn't turn over. my grandfather has replaced the voltage regulator and alternator within the last 18 months (he gave the car to me 11/19), so does anyone have any idea?
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

Old 11-30-2005, 07:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
my understanding with my car is that the battery is not charging enough while it drives. does anyone know why? i understand that sometimes if a battery is towards the end of its life / goes too low too many times it may do the battery in. so in theory my car is starting, however the problem is that the battery is not recharging like it should. any suggestions?
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

Last edited by WardJ; 11-30-2005 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
^^Yes, that's how it works, kinda. I would suggest just biting the bullet and taking your battery to Autozone so they can see if your battery has in fact bitten the dust. If your battery won't keep a charge, then that's a pretty good sign that it's about done. Cold weather just exacerbates the problem.

Check back after you visit them.

(woooo.. palindrome post! 1001 Yes!)
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
thanks

congrats on the 1k posts
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)