Hello I am new here.... 83 BMW 320I 135k Originally Miles Excellent body shot and o - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hardy is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Hello I am new here.... 83 BMW 320I 135k Originally Miles Excellent body shot and o

Hello I am new at this so perhaps you could welcome me and give me some tips on how this works. I am happy to find a site like this...... Well I do have a question perhaps someone could take a stab at. I have a 83 320i 5 speed the problem is it runs hot a lot. The temp gauge will go over the half way mark (3/4) to be exact when sitting at a red light or when its hot. Is this normal for the E21's 81-83 for those years? If not please advise me as to what it might be. I have already gone over many things such as coolant flush, installed new thermostat cooler Tempature (171F versus the factory 180F thought that would help it did a little). Everything else works great belts, fan, new water pump, wow the car is great no problems other then this one I am naming please advise me thanks.
Super Dave.

Communication Is The Oil That Lubricates The Frictions Of Life Lets Talk….
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Question, does your Auxiliary Fan come when you turn the a/c on or when you're sitting in traffic in hot temps........

jb

#3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:08 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
The older e21's 81-83 320i models including mine have the (old school) feature of the fan always turning and cooling when the engine is running. So the answer is No there is no auxilary fan its always on when the motor is turning the fan does as well.
Let me ask you this how can I find out what the tempature guage should read/be at from the factory? Perhaps its normal for it to go to 3/4? I am not sure but there are some cars like that Saturns 91-93 did that. So far with the new thermostat I installed it has not gone to 3/4 but it does go over the half way point. Thanks for any help/info you can give me.

#4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:54 AM
1st Gear Member

coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
How is your water pump? If the water is not circulating properly, the engine will run hot. I would think that the 1/2 way mark on the temp gauge would be the maxumum it should go if everything is working right.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:39 PM
n00b

Steve8212 is on a distinguished road
I had a similar problem on a 87 325e and it turned out to be a bad temperature sensor sending the wrong signal to the temperature gauge. I had already replaced the clutch fan, water pump, thermostat, flushed the radiator in the process.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybayonne View Post
Question, does your Auxiliary Fan come when you turn the a/c on or when you're sitting in traffic in hot temps........

jb
The auxilary does come on when the a/c is turned on but not when sitting in traffic. Or at least it does not come on when the car is slightly over the half way mark.

This is my ? to you.... At what point is the Auxiliary fan supposed to come on? At what tempature when the guage is at the half way point? The reason I am asking is I don't think it is supposed to come on or if it is I have not seen it come on yet please advise thanks DAve.

#7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:11 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybayonne View Post

jb
The auxilary does come on when the a/c is turned on but not when sitting in traffic. Or at least it does not come on when the car is slightly over the half way mark.

This is my ? to you.... At what point is the Auxiliary fan supposed to come on? At what tempature when the guage is at the half way point? The reason I am asking is I don't think it is supposed to come on or if it is I have not seen it come on yet please advise thanks DAve.

#8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 08:01 AM
n00b

paxmaster2000 is on a distinguished road
same problem with my 87 325is. come to find out the brand new thermostat was bad. don't buy the cheap ones. get the real deal. that was the first thing i replaced. i spent about 100 bucks and then ended up spend another 130 just to have a shop fix it .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)