Gay Parts - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2005, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Okay, so I thought that I would finally maintain my car properly for once, and do PREVENTATIVE maintenance instead of waiting until something breaks before I fix it. So I did a tuneup on my car plus water pump and timing belt. I bought like 400 dollars worth of stuff from bavarian autosport, and was ready to go. Took my time, and completed all of it in about 12 hours (I was proud of my first attempt at the BMW) Anyways, about 1000 miles later, my car starts running like shit, really loping, and there's this snapping noise coming from the engine, come to find out, one of the spark plug wires is grounding out to a water hose! So, instead of taking my car off the road, I decide to just jerry rig it and put one of my old wires on.. problem solved... Then I start leaking water at a very alarming rate... It did it for a few days, scared the hell out of me, and I didn't have time to fix it, so I let it sit in my carport for a month or so. Go back out, and start her up.. she still leaks, so I buy another water pump (that's where it looks like it's coming from) and as soon as I pull up the the auto-hobby shop, she stops doing it.. So I drive her for a couple more weeks, and she starts doing it again... I finally decide to declare war on this errant water pump. Just finished it. Took about 2 hours, and no leak. I know I did it right.. so I turned the car on, and I had a rubbing fan problem.. it was rubbing on the distributor cap cover whenever the engine was revving high. It was kinda dark, so I reached my hand in that area and touched the throttle thingy.... YOW!! yup, fuckin wire bit me! So now I have another bad wire? No freakin way... So basically I'm a disgruntled customer.. anybody else had a problem with them?

At least my car is running now.

Drive on, Bimmerheads.
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2005, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: Dinan Stg 1 M3
Photos:
Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
wow lame
Old 01-06-2005, 12:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
guywithblack88e30 is an unknown quantity at this point
dude if you touch any spark plug wire with the car on if if there like 8 layers of silcone it will still shock you i have learned from experience this only time they don't shock you is with car off

Member of got its raining(in Members Lounge) to 100, 237, 250, & 300 pages club...
Member of 3 Pedel club...
Member of ran away from cop using DRIFTING not speed(ok a little speed)...
guywithblack88e30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Bimmin'88 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know if you can blame bavauto......they just buy and sell parts. They and no other Parts supplier has the time or the resources to physicaly check every part that comes throught thier warehouse.
That is a bummer though. They should back you up with exchanging the defecive parts for good ones.
Bavauto is not the cheapest supplier out there but they do have good Customer Service and they deserve the chance to make it right for you.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
e30fanm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e30fanm3 Send a message via Yahoo to e30fanm3
first of all i have never been bit by a spark plug wire on any bimmer, i have pulled hundreds of them of while the car was running. And you shouldnt have bought those cheap wires anyways, there was nothing wrong with your stock wires. I love bavauto but their wires suck, you wont find any better than the stock wires. And second of all, if this was your first time working on your car then you prolly didnt do something right. Why didnt you just go to a BMW shop or dealer to get the parts? And as far as your fan rubbing you fucked somethin up there. The only thing it is supposed to be close to is a coolant hose and you should have tie wrapped it to the hoist bracket
e30fanm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
viali8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by ldsbeaker@Jan 5 2005, 09:51 PM
Okay, so I thought that I would finally maintain my car properly for once, and do PREVENTATIVE maintenance instead of waiting until something breaks before I fix it. So I did a tuneup on my car plus water pump and timing belt. I bought like 400 dollars worth of stuff from bavarian autosport, and was ready to go. Took my time, and completed all of it in about 12 hours (I was proud of my first attempt at the BMW) Anyways, about 1000 miles later, my car starts running like shit, really loping, and there's this snapping noise coming from the engine, come to find out, one of the spark plug wires is grounding out to a water hose! So, instead of taking my car off the road, I decide to just jerry rig it and put one of my old wires on.. problem solved... Then I start leaking water at a very alarming rate... It did it for a few days, scared the hell out of me, and I didn't have time to fix it, so I let it sit in my carport for a month or so. Go back out, and start her up.. she still leaks, so I buy another water pump (that's where it looks like it's coming from) and as soon as I pull up the the auto-hobby shop, she stops doing it.. So I drive her for a couple more weeks, and she starts doing it again... I finally decide to declare war on this errant water pump. Just finished it. Took about 2 hours, and no leak. I know I did it right.. so I turned the car on, and I had a rubbing fan problem.. it was rubbing on the distributor cap cover whenever the engine was revving high. It was kinda dark, so I reached my hand in that area and touched the throttle thingy.... YOW!! yup, fuckin wire bit me! So now I have another bad wire? No freakin way... So basically I'm a disgruntled customer.. anybody else had a problem with them?

At least my car is running now.

Drive on, Bimmerheads.
[snapback]265258[/snapback]
just one question: was it a bosch water pump? if it was i know what the problem is. it was the piece of shit gasket bosch gives u with their water pump. i changed my water pump during the summer and baught a bosch water pump from pepboys and it leaked after i installed it. it was the gasket. so i went to pep boys and baught some gasket paper to make my own gasket. hasn't leaked since. hope this helps. good luck.
viali8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: BMW 325
Photos:
Red_Rocket is just really niceRed_Rocket is just really niceRed_Rocket is just really niceRed_Rocket is just really niceRed_Rocket is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Red_Rocket
Dude i basicly did the same thing you did and bought all the parts from bavauto. I replaced the water pump, timeing belt and all the other belts, plus i bought a full new hose package and new gaskets. I did the install, ran it for about an hour to let the coolant run through and all you could hear was the click of the injectors. Im not slamming on your install but it is possible you made i tiny mistake, like viali8 said, its probably a gasket . good luck
Old 01-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
viali8 is an unknown quantity at this point
i didn't have any clicking noise after my water pump installed but it did leak. good luck.
viali8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
shit happens every company you go to...they still rock in my eyes...they dont make the parts :P just sell them

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)