gas milage - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
viali8 is an unknown quantity at this point
gas milage

hello all,
I have an 87 325 with 216,xxx miles. just recently i have a seen a drastic drop in my gas milage. When i first bought the car i was getting about 260-270 miles per tank in the city and 340-350 on the highway. Now i am only getting about 260 miles to the tank on the highway.
I changed the fuel filter about 40,000 miles ago. What could it be that is giving me such poor gas milage? Also i bought the car with 177,xxx miles but never changed the O 2 sensor. Could that be the problem?
Has anyone had the same problem before and what did u do to fix it? Oh also i am driving with snow tires on the back, but i doubt that makes not much of a difference.
viali8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by viali8
hello all,
I have an 87 325 with 216,xxx miles. just recently i have a seen a drastic drop in my gas milage. When i first bought the car i was getting about 260-270 miles per tank in the city and 340-350 on the highway. Now i am only getting about 260 miles to the tank on the highway.
I changed the fuel filter about 40,000 miles ago. What could it be that is giving me such poor gas milage? Also i bought the car with 177,xxx miles but never changed the O 2 sensor. Could that be the problem?
Has anyone had the same problem before and what did u do to fix it? Oh also i am driving with snow tires on the back, but i doubt that makes not much of a difference.
It all depends on if you have noticed a performance change with the drop in your mpg. The coolant temp sensor, O2 sensor, air temp sensor (built into your air flow meter) the airflow meter itself all heavily effect the MPG (and running quality) of your car. Along with spark plugs, weak conducting wires, wore out cap and rotor. Also don't rule out failing wheel bearings and dragging breaks as well. Just to skim the surface.

The most common to drop the MPG of most any car is the O2 sensor, it should be swapped out about every other timing belt change if you change it at the 30,000 mile marker.
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
viali8 is an unknown quantity at this point
gas milage

now that u mention the wheel bearing. i do need new ones in the front. they are starting to make noise but i didn't think it would affect my gas milage. thanks for the info.
viali8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
Any drag on the car will cause a drop in gas milage, just try driving around with about 10-15 psi out of your tires.
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)