BMW Werkz banner

Funny Smell While I Drive The Car?

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Kowalski 
#1 ·
i noticed while i drive the car i start to smell something funny, smells kinda sweatish/sourish. it only happens while i drive around when im just idle i dont smell it as much. also i notice i smell it more if i have the heat on?
Any ideas?

thanks

#4 ·
Originally posted by tyro2001@Mar 8 2005, 10:52 PM
lol good one

where would a microfilter be in a 89 325i?
[snapback]306942[/snapback]​
maybe you have mold growing on your heater core:) or its stale... either way it happens over time.. also you might want to clean out the air vents too...

#5 ·
Originally posted by tyro2001@Mar 8 2005, 11:52 PM
lol good one

where would a microfilter be in a 89 325i?
[snapback]306942[/snapback]​

good question.....never had an E30 in good enough shape to have stinkyness as a top priority, lol...

... I have to drive my 85 318i with the windows down because the floor has rusted out on the passangers side, and there are holes on the exhaust directly underneath...can't be healthy

#11 ·
Interesting this should come up. I've noticed a bit of a smell when I push my 325e real good. Its very faint hot rubber. A friend of mine, Alex, has an '90 VW Jetta that makes the same smell in the same situation.

Come to think of it, I drove an '88 Golf while looking for a car, smelled the same.

Now, call me oblivious to the obvious, but what is causing this smell? I'm not breaking the tires loose when I drive. But I only smell it in German cars. Never smelled it in my family's Mazdas.

Odd?

#12 ·
Originally posted by offabroadway@Mar 11 2005, 02:06 AM
Interesting this should come up. I've noticed a bit of a smell when I push my 325e real good. Its very faint hot rubber. A friend of mine, Alex, has an '90 VW Jetta that makes the same smell in the same situation.

Come to think of it, I drove an '88 Golf while looking for a car, smelled the same.

Now, call me oblivious to the obvious, but what is causing this smell? I'm not breaking the tires loose when I drive. But I only smell it in German cars. Never smelled it in my family's Mazdas.

Odd?
[snapback]308676[/snapback]​

...any belts loose?

#13 ·
Originally posted by tyro2001@Mar 8 2005, 09:45 PM
i noticed while i drive the car i start to smell something funny, smells kinda sweatish/sourish. it only happens while i drive around when im just idle i dont smell it as much. also i notice i smell it more if i have the heat on?
Any ideas?

thanks
[snapback]306933[/snapback]​
maybe theres some spilled jam on ur engine. yeah its coolant easy way to check is let car heat up then with engine on. open coolant resovior and smell it

#14 ·
Before you spend a lot of money, buy a can of LYSOL, aerosol, air deodorizer and with the vent sytem on outside air, and fan on full, start spraying that LYSOL into the air intakes in front of the windshield, if this is mold or mildew the LYSOL will eat it up.

#16 ·
Originally posted by offabroadway@Mar 11 2005, 01:06 AM

Odd?
[snapback]308676[/snapback]​
cltuch slipping?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.