BMW Werkz banner

fuel tank change

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  sick touring 
#1 ·
i need to change my fuel tank as i think i have a leek,smells of fuel is it a easy job or do i sell the car i have a doner car so i have a tank.

#2 ·
really not that big a deal. It's right in front of the passenger rear wheel. You should be able to figure it out. You might have to take your back seat out.

#3 · (Edited)
It'll take about 4 hours with out a lift, the only pain is removing the exhaust and drive shaft because it goes across the lenth of the car about the size of the back seat itself... Do be sure not to over tighten the tank crossover tube, if this strips, you are in trouble.

But before you do this, pull your rear seat and access plates and check if the tank sending unit seal or anything easy to get to are leaking. This way you can fix it without pulling the tank.

#6 ·
Starmavin said:
It'll take about 4 hours with out a lift, the only pain is removing the exhaust and drive shaft because it goes across the lenth of the car about the size of the back seat itself... Do be sure not to over tighten the tank crossover tube, if this strips, you are in trouble.
What he said :D

I had the tank replaced in mine too; when I picked it up from the seller I took it into the gas station next door and put $60 of fuel in it, only to find it was pissing out of the bottom of the tank :mad: They fixed it but it still needed replacing 15K miles later. I also needed a new float which I tried to fix myself, but the little wires and the plastic floater thing - too fine for my fingers. When I replaced the float the 'tank empty' light stopped working: any suggestions? (I did reconnect BOTH the plugs under the inspection covers beneath the back seat)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.