Fuel Filter - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 03:52 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
shield is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Are there any Fuel filters out there that also work on the E30 but cheaper. I've seen a few FRAM ones that look very similar, but a fraction of the price since theyre made for some American cars...

And Replacing. It looks pretty straight forward, but don't want to crack the old loopy hoze, how can i clamp it without damaging the old hoze?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 08:40 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
I'm not sure where you are shopping but a fuel filter for an E30 shouldn't be any more than $15-$20 and it only needs to be changed once a year or every 25K miles.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 10:34 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
It looks like the first parts store I went to was a ripp. They were gonna charge $50, but I bought one for $20 today from another place.

So as far as replacing; I was looking at my old filter and it is much bigger than the new BOSCH 0 450 905 201 I got for my BMW. I don't think the last owner replaced it with the right filter.

Do I just slip the clamps down the hozes, tighten them, replace filter and then slip clamps up and tighten around filter nipples again?

The hoze coming from the tank to the filter looks really stiff and I'm afraid of cracking or breaking it if I clamp it shut. Am I being paranoid or should I just go ahead and do it??
#4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 02:14 AM
Neutral Member

draculia is an unknown quantity at this point
if the hose looks brittle, then go to your local autoparts store and pick up some new hose. all you need is 1 ft of fuel injection hose. most likely they won't have 8mm inner diameter hose, so just get 5/16 id.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 06:23 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally posted by draculia@Sep 3 2004, 02:54 AM
if the hose looks brittle, then go to your local autoparts store and pick up some new hose. all you need is 1 ft of fuel injection hose. most likely they won't have 8mm inner diameter hose, so just get 5/16 id.
what he said

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 07:46 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Don't worry about clamping down the hoses, at most not counting whats in the filter, a 1/4 cup will spill out. Some of the fuel hoses are a formed hose so it may look stiff but it is just shaped so it won't kink. Unless the hose feels rock hard and is showing signs of cracking it should be ok to reuse.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 04:59 PM
n00b

whunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by draculia@Sep 3 2004, 04:54 AM
I agree, replace the hose, its cheap insurance.

whunter
ASE Master Mechanic
asemastermechanic@juno.com

AUTOKUNST
754 Orchard Lake Road
Pontiac, MI. 48341
Phone# 248-334-3120
Fax#248-334-0435
#8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 01:18 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I did it and it was no problem. Good thing too; the old one literally had crap driping out of it.
My BMW runs smoother and more efficient now. No more hesitation during acceleration.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 02:19 AM
Neutral Member

draculia is an unknown quantity at this point
good to hear
#10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 03:19 PM
n00b

MissingNHL is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm looking for a good parts place in Vancouver...Where did you get your filter from?
#11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 04:22 PM
5th Gear Member

Aether is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Aether Send a message via MSN to Aether
Can I ask how hard it was to get to the part of the tank you needed to? My filter hasn't been replaced in the last year, and it's on the list of post-winter maintenance stuff.

Four Five Six - It's on.
#12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 04:52 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Aether@Oct 4 2004, 03:22 PM
Can I ask how hard it was to get to the part of the tank you needed to?* My filter hasn't been replaced in the last year, and it's on the list of post-winter maintenance stuff.
[snapback]204705[/snapback]

I bought the BOSCH filter from a parts place I use quite often for their really good price. ran me about $25.

It's called SELECT Auto Parts. Look the number up on www.canada411.ca I can't recall it now. But call ahead and have the guy order it.

As far as replacing it. The filter is outside and runs on the left rear side of the car. mine was right in front of the laft rear tire. It is really easy to replace. Just go grab a manual from the local library and follow the instructions if you're not sure. you basically take the fuel fuse out, start the car to choke. Take the gas cap off, clamp the hozez, take the old filter out (a bit of fuel will spill, be ready and don't panic). put new one in and reverse the process.

If youre really not comfortable playing around fuel, then just take to your mechanic. If you know him , he either won't charge you or maybe a few bucks. The whole thing takes like 5 minutes to do.

good luck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)