Front Right Brake Stopped Workin While Bleeding - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2004, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
javieruz is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to javieruz Send a message via MSN to javieruz
hey guys,

i have a serious problem. yesterday we were replacing the rear pads and rotors, we bled the rears and we decided to bleed the front lines too. there was a lot of junk in the rear but when we tried to bleed the front right line, the fluid just would not go, the pedal was stiff and it seemed like there was something blocking the line. we took the whole line from the brake hydraulic unit to the wheel out and it was ok, but still no fluid coming out even after we tried to turn the engine on. what is wrong with that??? all the other wheel calipers would lock the wheels. could it be something wrong with the ABS stuff in this car?? when i tried driving it, the wheels lock pretty easy and a couple of times happened that the pedal just gave way and went all the way to the floor making the car unstoppable, after few seconds it was "ok" (read breaking on 3 wheels) again......
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2004, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
wcleafs is an unknown quantity at this point
just a stab in the dark but possibly a collapsing flex line. it appears ok until put under pressure.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
by flexline you mean the plastic about 1 foot long hose going into the bleeder valve? if yeah, then the whole line from the hydraulic unit to the bleeder valve is OK...
Old 12-16-2004, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
anybody??? the steel brake line was messed up so i ordered a new one from BMW for only $12....

anyone knows anything about this "hydraulic unit" ABS stuff thats in front left of the car?????????? pls
Old 12-19-2004, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by javieruz@Dec 15 2004, 10:59 PM
by flexline you mean the plastic about 1 foot long hose going into the bleeder valve? if yeah, then the whole line from the hydraulic unit to the bleeder valve is OK...
[snapback]251900[/snapback]
you get full flow through the flex line? no problems when bleeding or does the line not bleed anymore.
Does the line bleed if you take the flex line off closer to the Master Cylinder?

Old 12-20-2004, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by wcleafs+Dec 19 2004, 01:10 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wcleafs @ Dec 19 2004, 01:10 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-javieruz@Dec 15 2004, 10:59 PM
[snapback]251900[/snapback]
you get full flow through the flex line? no problems when bleeding or does the line not bleed anymore.
Does the line bleed if you take the flex line off closer to the Master Cylinder?

[snapback]254127[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

there is no fluid flow in the flex line, nor in the steel line going from the abs unit. all the other wheels work except the front right one
Old 12-21-2004, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
very interesting problem !
I would remove the line that feeds the front right and blow some compressed air from the brake end towards the master cylinder. If there is any blockage in there then that should clear it. Once you get free flow of air through the line, re attach it to the master cylinder, fill with fluid and bleed the system again. If you dont get free flow of air then I would suspect blockage or a crushed steel line some where in the route to the brake.

The ABS is (if I am not mistaken ) a system that works on electical signals to pulse the brakes so if the car is off then it should not play a part in the operation of the braking system.

love to hear how you resolve this
ghead

Cheers
Old 12-21-2004, 01:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
oops forgot to mention remove the steel line from the master cylinder
prior to blowing it clear with air
Old 12-23-2004, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
ok, so what happened so far: i have replaced the whole steel brake line from the ABS unit to the rubber line going into the caliper. (after being told by the BMW dealer that the part was backordered from Germany and it may take a few days or few months to get it, i somehow found two metric lines at autozone and connected them together with a coupler that needed some drilling....) we bled the line somehow but the thing is that the car still breaks on three wheels, the wheels lock very easily and i dont think it is good for the tires or the front axle but i have to drive it like this (about few miles to work and back every day)... occasionally i can sort of feel a click in the brake pedal when i try to just press it really hard, as if some valve opened in the abs unit and let some pressure into the non-working line... i just wonder how it is possible that only one doesnt work....

does anyone have any detailed info about the ABS unit, maybe how to check those relays in there or anything more specific?????
Old 12-23-2004, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
i am afraid that if i try to disconnect any of the lines going into the brake master cylinder, i may not be able to put them back in, the screws are made of some very weak material and the screw is prone to get stripped or just messed up.... is there any better tool than a wrench to use with these in case it doesnt start working again and i really have to go in and clean all the lines??
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)