Front end shimmy? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Front end shimmy?

Hey guys... Just put a new set of 205/60/14 Falken Ziex 512's on my '87 325i. Before this it had a set of Michellin MXV4's on the front and some really old Michellin's on the back. Before I mounted the new meats it was smooth as silk up to about 95mph. Now that I had the new, much nicer, tires mounted, it has a lot of feedback and shake in the wheel. It's pretty consistent but more noticeable at certain speeds. Nothing really changed in the front end from one set to the next so I don't really know what is causing the issue? I've heard that the controll arm pivot mounts are notorious for causing this problem, is that common? Anyone else had shimmy show up with new tires? I can't imagine that the tires would be to blame as I watched them dynamicly balance each one! I have a new front end bushing and controll arm setup with new tie rods that I plan on installing soon but I'm just wondering if this is a common occurence or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
I had this problem right at 60-70 then again at 110 or so scary.
But it turned out to be the aftermarket rims weren't hubcentric and I put new/old BMW/BBS basket weaves (14x6.5 polished lip) on and it cured the problem.
I just read your CP and I think you have same type of good BBS rims.

Maybe check the mounting/lugs etc.
Bearings maybe.

Try rotating tires see if vibration moves to rear.

Jack up each corner and check for loose parts. (carefully)

I was looking at cotrol arm bushings ball joints, shock mounts, steering rack etc.

My rear shock mounts were shot too. Easy to find/see/feel this problem once on the rack.

It could be a combination of things.

I was told theres different ways to jack it up and unweigh things so you can test looseness in the caster, camber and toe in directions.

Ask StarMavin he rocks.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Richard Fitz
'87 325is Delphin Metalic

#3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 08:27 PM
2nd Gear Member

DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Yea,
I wish I had a rack! I do need to just go ahead and replace some parts that I know are in need of it but I just find it weird that it didn't have any trouble with the old Mcnasty tires. Oh well, just frustrating, $225 to install a nice new vibration!
#4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 09:25 PM
n00b

jhall5series is on a distinguished road
My experience with Falken...

Hi, I've been chasing the same issue for past two weeks with a set of Falken 512's (245 45 R17) just installed on my 2003 5 series with the sport supension... I had em balenced several times, a 4-wheel alignment, a full front end inspection with no luck. Shocks/struts are fine. I moved tires front to rear and back several times with no luck at all. I was getting pretty discourged so I decided to try another tire.

The shop where I purchased the Falkens gives a 30 day exchange perk, so I took em back and had them install a set of Pirelli's of the same size ... Ready for this? It was a night and day difference! No shimmy, no vibration at 70mph, no nothing but the road feel the 5 series is supposed to have. It was the tires all along. The shop worked with me all the way... Let me add this though... We have set of P235 45 17's Falken 512's on my wife's 3-series with no issues. So your guess is as good as mine on why some Falken's are good and other are not so good.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Cheers,
#5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 09:35 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
WOW! I wondered if that might be the issue. Thanks for your info that really helps me to know what to look for. I kinda had a feeling that it was the tires as it was strange to me that it started right after having them mounted and had never occured before! I'll see what I can find out.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 09:43 AM
n00b

jhall5series is on a distinguished road
Sounds good, let us know what happens. Good luck!
#7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Get some Yokohamas!!

Cheers,
Richard Fitz

#8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Neutral Member

sweetlilbug is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sweetlilbug Send a message via Yahoo to sweetlilbug
I had a shimmy in my front end and had the tires rotated/balanced and the whole front end pretty much rebuilt and still there is a shimmy. It has the same tires on it that it had when I bought and it never shimmied. Go and have custom wheels put on and that is where the shimmy began. Put factory wheels back on and the shimmy is still there. Rotated tires, checked tires, balanced tires, still a shimmy wth is wrong with my car? Give me a gun I am gonna shoot the dang thing!

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>Drive or tow a BMW.........Nuff said!!!!</span></span></span>
#9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
this title sounds like a type of sexy dance from the 60's :lol

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Dude... I love your dub! I want it sooooo bad. But the wife says I can't afford it, not to mention the CA to KY thing! Too bad. You just don't see nice old dubs around here like that, much less the scirocco. I had an '87 Jetta 16v coupe with the recaros and some Ronal Turbo's for a while but someone offered me a bunch of money for it so I sold it! Miss it really bad now. Those Ronal's sure would look sweet on there! Why are you selling it by the way? Yes I know I'm jacking this thread but it's my thread anyhow
#11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 12:40 PM
n00b

JohnnyJK is on a distinguished road
Good points. Come to think of it the issue started when I purchased Ronal rims and new Michelin Sports. It's still odd that it dosn't happen all the time.
#12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 01:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Dirt

I was looing for feedback on TSW wheels and.
I read another good post on another site.

e30_vibration

guy went through 2 sets of wheels tires
finally replaced the rotors with factory BMW rotors which are supposedly balanced and the problem went away

50-60 mph vibration felt through the steering wheel

weird, but possible??

Also, I think its possible to get the wheels balanced on the car.
Ive heard of this but never tried it.

Cheers,
Richard Fitz

#13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 11:47 PM
W00T

Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
wow i know this is an old thread...but hot dam. Im noticed my braking isnt all that great and my brake rotors are warped...that might be why my front end is shimmying/vibrating. Ordering new rotors tomarow.

FYi this is response to the "e30 vibration" email.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)