friggin' oil filter won't come off... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2007, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Festivus yes, bagels no..

Car: '01 330i
Photos:
yammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
friggin' oil filter won't come off...

I am so sick of these blow jobs that run these stupid lube shops....

they cranked my oil filter on way too tight....and I've broken two filter wrenches trying to get it off....

now it's got a big whole in the side because the last wrench broke through, but still didn't budge the filter....

what should I do to get it off?

(I can't drive 'cause the filter has a big hole in it......and I can't take it back to the shop that changed it because they went out of business....)

please help

Old 04-27-2007, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 86 BMW 325
Photos:
jfertita is on a distinguished road
What if you shoved a breaker bar through it and tried to unscrew it like tire iron style?
jfertita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
i have had to do this before when the oil filter wasnt changed on a car for 20,000 miles, never based on "over tightening" as if you over tighten it the rubber gasket just breaks!?

that being said, you may want to invest in a better oil filter remover something like this

if thats a no go then something like this

if thats a no go, something like this

but if none of those work you can take a little tiny screw driver and jam it into the where the gasket meets the housing and break the seal

next, replace your oil filter with a K&N one for one simple reason

the damn nutt welded to the top, makes life so much better

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!

Last edited by gotKRAUT; 04-27-2007 at 09:08 AM.
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil Filter

I use a rubber strap wrench that goes around the filter case and tightens up on itself as you turn the handle.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos:
yammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
i have had to do this before when the oil filter wasnt changed on a car for 20,000 miles, never based on "over tightening" ...
the filter was changed 3,200 miles ago....

I broke two of these trying to get it off:

this is like the one that punched the hole in the side...I'm going to try with it again today...

a plasma cutter is starting to look like a better option...

I wish there were more room to use a beaker bar or something like that...

I think I'll try ramming a screwdriver through it (freak there's already a hole in one side) and try and use that for some leverage....

freeeeaaaaak.....
Old 04-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos:
yamma: 1

oil filter: 0

this is what it looked like when I got the mo fo off.....

waaaaaaaaaay too much work....
Old 04-27-2007, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
You penn-soiled your motor? Dude, pennzoil and quaker state are the two of the worst motor oils ever. I have seen these 2 motor oils gunk the crap out more motors than I care to recount.... Castrol, havoline, valvoline, mobile, or mobile 1, or even better: Amsoil, are the oils to use.
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1999 540i
Photos:
fastshivy is on a distinguished road
Plus 1 ....Those 2 oils will leave 2 inches of crud in an engine....Plug up drain holes etc. etc. etc.
fastshivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos:
Yea, I remember you saying that before....

The reason pennzoil was in there was...I took my car to the most reputable lube shop here in town.....I didn't realize they use such bad oil....needless to say, I'm never going back there....

but I just filled her up with Mobile 1.....and that's what I'm stickin' with
Old 05-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
LOL
Dang thats funny.
Glad you got it off.

I use BMW, or MANN filter. $8 v $4
New Mobil 1, 15-50 $23 5qt at walmart
copper crush washers from stealership or autozone

Ive got slightly different wrench than pictured.
hard to get it on off, around the filter but it works.
I think your only supposed to go 1/8-1/4 of a turn after the gasket hits the block.
Some shops go too tight, they will also screw up/strip the fill plug threads without using new crush washer. I reuse it a few times then replace.
Good luck.

Rfitz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfitz25
Some shops go too tight, they will also screw up/strip the fill plug threads without using new crush washer.
This has already happened to me....they stripped the pan....(no on believes me when I say they stripped the pan and not the plug......but believe me, they stripped the pan....) I stopped going to that shop too....not to mention they put the wrong oil in it AFTER I told what kind I wanted, and they stripped the hex dif plug too, and then lied to me and said they checked the dif fluid....neither me, or anywhere else could get the dif plug out.....I had to replace the dif cover.......booo

no more lube shops for me
Old 05-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
srsly. no lube shops period.
No one cares about your car like you do.
I don't even like leaving my car at the shop to mount new tires or get an alignment... (the only stuff I can't do)
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
my car is red

Car: 94 325i, 84 325e
Photos:
94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
wo i've never seen a filter that mangled before.

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
94BMW325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Car: '86 E30, baby! '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd
Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Shit yamma, you should let a dozen eggs bake in the sun for a week and then...DRIVE BY!
Old 05-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
ya i have seen engines inside turn yellow from the amount of wax left behind from penzoil...more wax waxoil lol

but ya i have had filters stuck on like this, it sucks, thats the way the E30 was when i got it...

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)