Fog Light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sweetlilbug is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sweetlilbug Send a message via Yahoo to sweetlilbug
(Thread Starter)
My right fog light isn't working. I just replaced the entire light assembly and there is a new bulb in it but it's not working. My other one quit working right before that...........anyone have an idea what could be wrong? Fuses are good to I am at a loss as to what the problem is.

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>Drive or tow a BMW.........Nuff said!!!!</span></span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 02:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
With age, the electrical connectors tend to fall apart. I have rebuilt several, using bullet style male/female connectors and crimping the female end on the wire and then pushing it onto the assemblies male connector. You need to take a volt meter or 12VDC voltage checker and make sure you have 12VDC current at the connection (key on at postion 2), also check that the ground (brown wire) is good.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Bear@Aug 19 2005, 02:55 PM
With age, the electrical connectors tend to fall apart. I have rebuilt several, using bullet style male/female connectors and crimping the female end on the wire and then pushing it onto the assemblies male connector. You need to take a volt meter or 12VDC voltage checker and make sure* you have 12VDC current at the connection (key on at postion 2), also check that the ground (brown wire) is good.
[snapback]370904[/snapback]
One other thing there are 2 wires one blue one brown with small boots on them on the driver's side of the car coming out down by driver's side fog light that aren't connected to anything...........what on earth could these attach to? Also my fusebox shows a blue fuse in the place for heated seats however I don't believe my car has heated seats so why is this fuse there? And why doesn't my defogger work? Messing with this car is forking up my manicure damnit.

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>Drive or tow a BMW.........Nuff said!!!!</span></span></span>
#4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 06:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

I had a good ETM (Electrical Troubleshooting Manual) on CD for these cars and I upgraded (what was I thinking) and now I have no access to the 3 series electricals. I have a Haynes manual and that is worthless, you need a Bentley. I will try and find some electrical diagrams or maybe some kind soul will jump in with one. How about yur outside temp sensor on the OBC, is that working? If all else fails I will slip under my son-in-laws 1990 325ic ( I am car sitting for two years)and check wiring colors and locations.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Bear@Aug 19 2005, 06:45 PM
I had a good ETM (Electrical Troubleshooting Manual) on CD for these cars and I upgraded (what was I thinking) and now I have no access to the 3 series electricals. I have a Haynes manual and that is worthless, you need a Bentley. I will try and find some electrical diagrams or maybe some kind soul will jump in with one. How about yur outside temp sensor on the OBC, is that working? If all else fails I will slip under my son-in-laws 1990 325ic ( I am car sitting for two years)and check wiring colors and locations.
[snapback]370952[/snapback]
My OBC sensor flashes -22F at all times. I have no clue what those wires go to. I have a Bentley manual but it doesn't tell me what the wires are.

#6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 08:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

Try hooking the wires up to the outside temperature sensor (should be on the lower spoiler and near the fog light, drivers side). There should be a hole for the probe portion of the temp sensor in the lower front spoiler and the back side of the probe should accept a two wire hookup. After hooking the wires up, see if the temp sensor on the OBC reads correct outside temperature.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 07:42 AM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetlilbug+Aug 19 2005, 07:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sweetlilbug @ Aug 19 2005, 07:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Bear@Aug 19 2005, 06:45 PM
[snapback]370952[/snapback]
My OBC sensor flashes -22F at all times. I have no clue what those wires go to. I have a Bentley manual but it doesn't tell me what the wires are.
[snapback]370962[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
In your Bentley electrical wiring section find the OBC (on Board Computer ) readout and trace the wires to the outside temp probe or sensor. I think (dangerous) they may be brown (ground) and blue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)