Flooding Engine - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 01:40 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jonnyblaze is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
hello all,

I am hoping someone can give me a hand. Last weekend i drove home from boston to ny with my 84 325e. The car ran fine. Sunday evening i was getting ready to head back up and the car would not start. It would turn over but wouldnt stay running. I thought that it might not be getting gas. Checked the fuel pump and filter. Definately pumping gas. Took out the spark plugwhich i had replaced maybe a couple hundred miles ago and it was covered in gas and extremely dirty. So i think that the engine is getting too much gas. I took the spark plug wire off the coil to see if theres spark. there is a good spark and when i put it back and tried to start the car it did start up and ran very rough and smoked like a bastard for a few minutes untill it died and would no longer start at all. Someone told me to try the air flow meter. so i tried that with no luck. i am looking for the next possible thing to try. Any possibilities would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 02:26 PM
/Banned

xsperf is an unknown quantity at this point
when it smoked, did it smoke BLACK, or white, from all the gas?

if it is black, it is definetely something wrong with ur oxygen/intake system
so try
o2 sensor
air filter
throttle body
#3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 06:17 PM
n00b

scott082 is an unknown quantity at this point
i had this problem about 4 months ago. car would start, idle rough and then stop. ghead the diagnosis from the mechanic was a faulty coolant temp sensor - it was giving the ECU the wrong coolant temp therfore the wrong engine temp when doing a cold start. this caused excess fuel in the engine. might not be an identical problem/solution to yours but hope this helps. the new temp sensor came in at $78 australian. hope this helps

#4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 10:53 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thank you for your quick replies. the smoke was black/blueish color. i special ordered a fuel pressure regulator thinking that might be the problem but the part that was delivered was the incorect part. suprise suprise... i unfortunately have to go back to boston today so i will not be able to get back to the car until next weekend. i will let you know what happens. thanks again

jonnyblaze

p.s. the car just has to run enough to get back to boston where im trading it in for a newer 5 series so i dont really want to spend too much on it. so if anyone has any kind of cheap quick fix ideas please let me know
#5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 02:29 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
is it a possible problem with the spark? someone suggested that could be the problem. when it does start up for short periods it sounds like it could be running on 2 cylinders. that may be the cause of the flooding if its not burning up the gas correct? thanks
john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)