"Floating valves" - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Car: '86 E30, baby! '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd
Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
"Floating valves"

Hey crew, just me again...
I have more of a tech question. I was told when I bought my car that at 4500rpm, I'd "float the valves". From what I understand, it's a condition of old, tired valve springs, is that right?
If so, is it a job I can do on my own? I have checked prices online for springs, but am not sure if that's all that would need to be replaced to get it good to go. I am comfortable enough twisting wrenches that I feel i can tackle it, or is it just too involved to do in my garage(well equipped mind you).

Thanks in advance!
PhatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
To replace the vavlve spring in any head i have ever worked on, you pulled the head. Usually you need a spring compressor (not the coil spring kind), it's kind of a giant vise grip thing with a plate on one end and a split cup on the other so you can remove the valve spring keepers. Defintiely not as job you would want to tackle on your own with out the necessary tools. You might be able to do it without head removal, but if you dropped a valve...BIG problem. Better off letting a pro do it for you.

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatCat
Hey crew, just me again...
I have more of a tech question. I was told when I bought my car that at 4500rpm, I'd "float the valves". From what I understand, it's a condition of old, tired valve springs, is that right?
If so, is it a job I can do on my own? I have checked prices online for springs, but am not sure if that's all that would need to be replaced to get it good to go. I am comfortable enough twisting wrenches that I feel i can tackle it, or is it just too involved to do in my garage(well equipped mind you).

Thanks in advance!
no the problem is the engine is only designed for 4500 rpms, because the stock springs are so soft. Ideally you just want to instal an i Cam and i Valve springs and that should be that. With an aftermarket chip you will get 5300-5500 rpms depeneding on make...

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired administrator

Car:
Photos:
triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
The eta motors suck for high end. I can't stress this enough. It's like trying to string out an overweight toddler on Xanax.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
triggrhaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
this spawned an idea for me, im starting a thread.

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Old 09-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
If you stap an I cam into an ETA head with out drilling the proper oil holes you will kill the cam and head....
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
If you stap an I cam into an ETA head with out drilling the proper oil holes you will kill the cam and head....
sorry i forget i shouldnt assume people just know these things lol

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Old 09-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired administrator

Car:
Photos:
triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
sorry i forget i shouldnt assume people just know these things lol
Hahaha, you're such a dick sometimes.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
triggrhaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks everyone...I never did plan on running it beyond the redline(naturally), but though that maybe things would start blowing up if I pushed it a wee bit farther if I got destracted by a skirt on the sidewalk or something . Will that comment get me in hot water with the ladies? I've been looking at picking up a Dinan chip...+28hp, +24lb/ft, and +400rpm. All for under 50 bucks...not bad eh?
Old 09-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
aftermarket chips for the eta feel really good. i had one on mine and seat of thepants improvement was very noticable.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Photos:
I'm looking forward to it, ordered it this afternoon after work. Hope it shows up mid week. Sounds easy enough to do as well. I'm glad to hear that people have had such good success with them and they make such a marked difference. Bring the torque!
Old 09-09-2006, 07:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
The only withdraw with a chip is you must run premium gas, or risk damaging detonation.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Photos:
Yeah, premium it is...it might hurt a bit more at the pump, but as far as I'm concerned, it's a small price to pay(no pun intende) for the added fun factor
Old 09-10-2006, 03:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Dan TM is on a distinguished road
Where'd you find a Dinan chip for $50? Thought they ran about $200.
Dan TM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Ebay, but some are "other brands" but boast the same results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)