fan upgrades, aux and main - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 02:16 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
draculia is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
in the process of tearing the car apart and doing some maintenance work. i took off the main fan, but space is so limited between the water pump/water pipe and the radiator the i can't just slap a slimline in there. what have you guys done when deleting the stock fan? i mocked up a 9" fan i had sitting around here, and i could fit that in the upper pass side corner of the radiator, and probably fit a 12" on the driver's side.

also, anyone know what the aux fan is rated at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 04:06 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
The electric fan fits no problem...you have to get a slim one and off set it on the radiator or get 2 10" fans..i did this and it worked great took me 25-30 mins to wire it all up and it was very much so worth it...i dont know about the aux fan..i never ran AC due to the fact i removed it so i cant help there sorry

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 04:46 AM
Neutral Member

draculia is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
the fan i was using for mock up purposes is only 2.5" thick, so it is quite slim. i will most likely stick with a 9" and 12", with the brand i'm going with that will be 1750 cfm total.

btw, metal rules
#4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally posted by draculia@Sep 5 2004, 04:26 AM
the fan i was using for mock up purposes is only 2.5" thick, so it is quite slim. i will most likely stick with a 9" and 12", with the brand i'm going with that will be 1750 cfm total.

btw, metal rules
AWWWWW YEEEAH lol we need more metal fans BTW go permacool if you want a large fan...my friend has a 2150 CFM permacool on his E30.... you will love the added engine spool and sound without the Clutch Fan

summitracing.com has a lot of electric fans...i went dual 10" permacools combined to make 2450 CFM's and i had them both on switches...im weird i preffer it that way...

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

BTW

Stick around for a while

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Neutral Member

Oxbrain is an unknown quantity at this point
someone explain this to me. How does an electric fan increase power? I know it takes the load off the engine by not sapping engine power to run the fan, but doesn't it just load up the alt. more making that pull harder and use more power?
#7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

M-technik-3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Oxbrain@Sep 5 2004, 10:55 AM
someone explain this to me. How does an electric fan increase power? I know it takes the load off the engine by not sapping engine power to run the fan, but doesn't it just load up the alt. more making that pull harder and use more power?
It doesn't increase power, it just gives back parasitic losses of the stock unit. The engine is still rated the same.

Now GM found HP when the rerouted their coolant in reverse flow. I believe it was 35 hp just from coolant flow. IE a more dense cooler intake temps equal better power less leaning out through out the rev band.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)